Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Feathers and Ink

Several people have asked about inks lately...which to use and when, what are my favorites, and so forth. You can read more about my feelings on ink HERE, but my bottom line on inks is this: you have to try them out for yourself and figure what works for you. It's a confusing mess, I know, and can get expensive, but the best way to figure it out is to plunge right in and start playing.

Individual results WILL vary.

Today's cards, inspired by a random boxed-card set I saw at Barnes and Noble featuring feathers, explain why I like thicker inks so much. I've written before that I store dye inks (runny inks like SU classic, Hero Arts, Kaleidacolor, and Memento) separate from my thicker pigment/chalk inks (Memento Luxe, VersaMagic, Impress Fresh Ink, Brilliance). The two categories look different when stamped. Dye inks are translucent, while the thicker inks are opaque. Thicker inks tend to work better with detailed stamps, stamps with fine lines, and clear stamps in general.

As these two cards demonstrate:

VersaMagic turquoise gem, Impress Tangerine, VersaMagic Rocket Red

VersaMagic tea leaves, Memento Luxe pistachio, Fresh Ink island,
VersaMagic jumbo java

The opaque inks give good coverage, preserve fine details, and have a richness you can't usually get with dye inks.

So what are the drawbacks? Certain techniques (spritzing with water, for instance) don't work well with thick inks, and though the brands I use are supposed to dry quickly, sometimes they don't, which can lead to smears and smudges and the occasional temper tantrum.

If you really want a LOT of information about inks, check out Jennifer McGuire's many videos on the subject. She's an excellent source of information and has tried far more brands and types of ink than I have.


Supplies
stamps: Waltzingmouse Funky Feathers, Gina K sentiment
paper: Papertrey white
inks: see photo captions
accessories: dimensionals

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty cards, will check out the videos.....even though I have been stamping for years and years......always good to take a refresher now and then.
    Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!