Thursday, July 9, 2015

Using Your Punches: Embellish?

While contemplating my collection of border punches, I got the idea to create this card:


It's so me! All that crisp white space, a lovely little embellishment from Doodlebug, and a word in a fun font. The scalloped curve at the bottom adds a bit of interest, but I wondered if the scallops faded into too much white and needed to be emphasized a bit.

So I pulled out my red Memento marker, opened up the pen tip, and added some dots to each scallop.


The dotted version definitely shows increased unity between the elements: the single holly berry, the dot over the "j", and the dots of the decorative border work nicely together.

But I really prefer the plain version for its simplicity. What do you think? Dots or no dots?

The strip was cut to fit into the Martha Stewart border punch. It's 1 7/8" wide. It's positioned on the one-third line vertically, and falls just short of the bottom third line horizontally.

Here are the Doodlebug holly stickers, just in case you want to know what to look for. They are adorable!


Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts Designer Alphabet (retired)
ink: SU real red (best red on the market in dye ink!)
paper: Neenah Solar White, 80# and 110#
accessories: Doodlebug holly sprinkles shapes, Martha Stewart border punch, dimensionals, red marker

20 comments:

  1. Well, I like both versions of the card, so I'm not much help to you...lol! The holly is super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dots. Definitely dots. I'm surprised how much of a difference it makes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I vote dots. That little detail finishes the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the dots. I can see the scallops now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more vote for the dots! It is the finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the dots are just the right finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the dots are just the right finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your CAS card. This is in accordance with the idea of "less is more". Wonderful, light and the same time so much. Both cards are perfect and I do not know that the more I like it. It depends on my mood, sometimes one and sometimes the other card is more suitable to me.
    Thank you and best regards,
    BozenA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dots for sure; they add just the tiniest touch to ground the tag. This card is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love dots and use them a lot - tiny ink dots, 1/4" hole punch dots, all kinds. Often they add the touch that makes a huge difference. On your Joy design, I like both cards in different ways. Also I wonder how it would look with red edging on the scallops (marker or a narrow red scalloped layer peeking out.) Great cards and fun to see both versions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely the dots although I like Cindy O's idea of a red scalloped layer too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely dots for me!

    Therese
    www.tmalakart.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's like a bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce. Yummy. Add a dollop of whipped cream...devine! And sometimes yummy is what hits the spot.
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dots for me. They unify and define the tag. And they don't take up too much white space :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I vote for the dots too - they call just the right amount of attention to the scallops without overwhelming them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I vote for the dots too - they call just the right amount of attention to the scallops without overwhelming them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like you, I prefer the simpler version.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!