Sunday, July 19, 2015

The End of an Era and a Really Cool Layout...with Washi Tape

First up, last week saw the joyful and sad ending to an era in my craft room: my last shipment to Operation Write Home. So glad the troops are coming home (for the most part); so sad this great organization is closing up shop.




*sigh*

And now for today's card....

Stamper Janice Long published a great, artsy card in The Stampers' Sampler that caught my eye because it's so clean and simple.


Card by Janice Long, published in The
Stampers' Sampler, summer 2015
For my first take on Janice's warm card, I stuck with stars but went with a cool color scheme of silver and white.




Silver washi tape, silver glitter paper, Brilliance silver ink...this card is so crisp and shiny and sparkly in real life and so very hard to capture in a photograph!

The second card I made has a completely different energy with bright orange to "happy" things up!



This was my second attempt at the orange card. On the first version, I stamped too many of the orange flowers on the card base, and it looked busy. This version has a more pleasing balance. I also love how the dots on the washi, the enamel dot, the white centers of the orange flowers, and the round centers of some of the letters in the sentiment create a dotty unity. With all that round stuff, the straight line of the washi works great to balance it out.

Many thanks to Janice for showing me a layout using washi that is super fun and extremely versatile!

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts Shoot for the Moon, Papertrey Beautiful Blooms II, Clearly Besotted A Little Sentimental
ink: Memento black, cantaloupe; Brilliance silver
paper: Papertrey Ink white
accessories: washi tape, dimensionals, enamel dots, flower punch, glue pen

7 comments:

  1. Love your clean & simple cards. I, too, have mixed feelings about OWH closing operations. Got my last box to go out tomorrow. And I must confess that I've never purchased or used ANY Washi tape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, you and all the others who were involved in Operation Write Home are such wonderful people. I am truly grateful to know you and others who have taken the time to do this.
    Love both these cards, especially the orange and white one. I have a need to try this especially if it gets me using even one length of washi tape. The tape I had to have then found I just couldnt use, other than to hold stencils down and die cuts in place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Color me happy with that orange card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent out my last box to OWH last week, with very mixed emotions. Glad the need for them is waning, but bummed because I now need to find a new outlet for this addiction,um, obsession with cardmaking.
    While I like the silver card with all the glitter (can never have too much glitter), the orange one with that pretty flower is my favorite. I'll have to try something like this with the Washi that I only use for holding dies down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will miss OWH too. I sent my last box July 1 with very mixed emotions, as you and others have said. No washi tape in my house, but this layout would be fun to try with patterned paper. Love your monochrome silver with several types of shine.

    PS - wondering where you will donate your cards now??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't decided yet. It's certainly an incentive to send more of my own cards to people, which will fill some of the void, but I'm considering creating card sets to donate to our church bazaar every fall. Might try a few this year and see how it goes.

      Delete
  6. I love the orange card - the color is vibrant and cheerful. I am moving towards more of a CAS style, so am using my massive supply of papers and embellishments to make cards that are donated to our local food pantry for its clients. The pantry requested twenty cards every two weeks - due to lack of storage space they do not want more - so I am having fun using my supplies to create mainly birthday cards for all ages. I may still be doing this in five years as my paper supplies do not seem to be diminishing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!