Thursday, November 25, 2010

OLW30 Challenge, Part 2

If you are reading this in email, you may have two posts. The first OLW30 post should be below!

Here's the second card from Vigo Cards that inspired me for the OLW30:



My version of this card shows how far from the inspiration "look" you can go in a challenge. When I take on an inspiration challenge, I try to find some main idea (layout, colors, concept, embellishment, shape, theme, an image) and then run with it. In this case, the concept of a four-letter word with letters replaced with images was what appealled most to me. So I ran with it.

I like words, type, and playing with letters. My original intention was to copy this card fairly closely, since the PTI Stocking Prints set has pretty stockings for the L. But then I ran into trouble finding an appropriate image for the V. Nothing I had seemed to work. I realized that I'd need to use letters for the V and E, which I thought would look pretty weird.

This meant I could use an ornament for the O, and just stick to letters for the L, V, and E. Also, I no longer had any reason to stick with LOVE. HOPE would work as well.

Suddenly, I knew who I would send this Christmas card to: a friend who has been battling colon cancer since spring.


Changes I made include shrinking the word size, using only two colors, and changing the word. My version gives much more white space and a more serene, peaceful feel to it, very appropriate for my friend and her family.

I still have at least one card left to share for OLW30.

I hope all of you have a wonderful Thursday, and to everyone in the United States, Happy Thanksgiving!

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (alphabet), Papertrey Ink (ornament)
paper: PTI white
ink: memento cottage ivy, SU real red
accessories: none

12 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Susan! Your card is so thoughtful, as are you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally love your card. Thanksgiving Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, Susan! Thanks for the daily inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed it with the word hope. As a cancer survivor I know personally that hope is the key need when battling for your life. Without hope it is hard to sustain the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan you've totally mastered this simplicity discipline, your card is perfect, thoughtful and decidedly clever:0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Your card is beautiful, and I'm sure it will warm the heart of the recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card is so, so beautiful. It makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect idea for this card. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving, Susan! Beautiful card!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. serene, peaceful...and elegant! This is such a beautiful card for your friend.

    carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this card! So much so that I made a card inspired by it here. Thanks so much for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!