Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Get Inspired by Repeating Leaves

While surfing around on Pinterest, I came across a lovely example of the design principle of repetition in the following photo:

Five and One

Hmm. Five leaves. Four in a light shade and one darker. Overlapping. Repetition encourages unity and balance in a design, and for some reason never fully understood by yours truly, the rule of using odd numbers (3 or 5, for instance) enhances that unity and balance.
So using that photo as inspiration, I made the following three cards using a clear leaf set from Hero Arts. To stamp, I started with the middle, darker leaf, and then added the lighter ones on either side.







I chose not to use the vertical lines of the original (though you could use Papertrey's Faux Ribbon set to pull it off if you felt so inclined), and to make them full-up greeting cards, I added a strong horizontal sentiment. I like how the vertical leaves play against the horizontal sentiment. Nicely balanced, I think.

Look for examples of repetition as you peruse blogs and Pinterest. See if you can get inspired to use repetition to make a card or three yourself!

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: Memento new sprout, pear tart, cocoa
paper: PTI white
accessories: not a blessed one!




14 comments:

  1. These are really pretty. I love the repetition and balance you achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning! And I think these would be great male cards, which is so hard for me to come up with ideas for. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like these cards. The repetition is lovely. Thanks for another enlightening lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The leaves look so fresh and springy. So many possibilities with this idea - repeating strawberries, icecream cones, hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you were inspired! This is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great inspiration Susan I'll be casing these ideas for sure:)
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so calm and beautiful. I think the odd numbers are pleasing to the eye because you can easily see the centre. But that's just me! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you interpreted your inspiration image! A beautiful set of cards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very yummy, Susan! I love anything with trees or leaves and your greens (and design) are just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, love this, I have some beautiful Papertrey leaf stamps that I could do this with! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous. Simply fabulous!
    Hugs!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant placement, love the stamping off too, xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great card, repetition is a great idea, especially with the contrast in colors. The bold sentiment makes it. I'm glad you left off the lines. I found that offputting in the inspiration photo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!