Monday, April 30, 2012

A Technique...Thanks to Audrie; Card Stock...Thanks to Jimmi

Check tomorrow night (Tuesday) for news about the One-Layer Wednesday Challenge, which will return this week!!!


Today's cards demonstrate a technique introduced to me by Audrie (girlgeek101). She hand-wrote the instructions and wrapped them around a bottle of Glimmer Mist (dazzling diamonds) she sent me, along with all sorts of goodies you've already seen on this here blog o' mine.

The Technique: First, you ink up a stamp with markers. I used SU markers, which are water-based. Then, spritz it lightly with the mist, and stamp onto watercolor paper or really heavy cardstock like Gina K Deluxe, which is what I used. I actually let the marker ink dry a bit so it wasn't too goopy when I stamped, and that worked perfectly.







See? It's easy, but the slight shimmer (which I couldn't capture in pixels) and watercolor effect of the block images are simply lovely. I tried it with a lightly patterned stamp and got an unappealing blob, though, so I recommend sticking with block images for this particular technique.

Also, I simply MUST thank Jimmi for kindly sending me a wonderful selection of Gina K's designer paper and colored card stock, which I'd never tried before.


It's all of the highest quality (no surprise if Gina is involved!) and in the yummiest colors, and the green card above is a piece that Jimmi sent. It's a close match for SU's green galore (that's the marker I used)...only I like it better than green galore because it's not so eye-wateringly bright.

Jimmi also sent me two weights of Gina K white card stock. This delighted me because, although I love and have used the heavier weight for a while, I'd never handled the lighter weight, which is the same white and would be perfect for layering without adding too much weight. White on white...wonderful!!!!

Plus, that yellow is the prettiest I've ever seen. You may have noticed there's a shocking lack of yellow on this blog, but I will make room for that one!

So thank you, Jimmi and Audrie, for making today's cards possible. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!


Supplies
Leaves
stamps: Papertrey Ink (Beautiful Blooms, Simply Jane)
ink: Memento London Fog
paper: Gina K white, PTI dark gray, SU almost amethyst
accessories: Glimmer Mist, SU almost amethyst marker, dimensionals

Butterfly
stamps: Amuse butterfly, PTI Mega Mixed Messages
ink: Memento London Fog
paper: Gina K white, green; PTI dark gray
accessories: Glimmer Mist, SU green galore marker, dimensionals

9 comments:

  1. I simply must try that technique - your cards are quite beautiful. How nice to have such considerate friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. These are beautiful. I've spritzed with water before stamping, but never with glimmer mist. Both of these cards are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous technique! I'll be trying it for sure. I especially love the first card - the colours are perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards. Nice gifts given to you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards! And I really love the opportunity to use some of my colored CS. These are really lovely cards - and the tiny black frame really set them off. No glimmer mist here, but Versamark and Dazzling Diamonds should work? Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like both of these cards! The stamping technique looks very nice and I like the colored cardstock. I'm curious to see how you will use the yellow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cards, what a lovely idea and it works so well:0)
    Lucky you what pretty papers, Gay x

    ReplyDelete
  8. GORGEOUS cards, Susan!
    and you are so welcome!
    (sorry to just see this!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry I missed this entry. I was a bit overwhelmed with loads of work. I love bot cards! You did a wonderful job with the technique. Here is another idea, try inking the stamp with three complementary colors (one in three different sections of the stamp), then the mist will blend the colors beautifully! Hugs!
    Audrie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!