Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Geeking out with Colored Cardstock

Seeing the yummy, yummy colors of cardstock in the A Muse catalog made me feel really bad. I have a ton of cardstock already...more cardstock than a woman could use up in a decade of obsession.

Also, let me point out that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the cardstock I've collected. I only have top-quality cardstock. Period. I learned years ago that cheap cardstock makes cheap-looking cards. I'm just falling victim to the powerful force of wanting something cool that I don't have. Don't judge me. You're guilty of it, too.

Anyway, I decided that if I really want to buy and use some of those fab new-to-me cardstocks in this lifetime, I need to start using the colored cardstock that I have. And of course, given my mental tendencies, I have to overthink it and try to come up with a system, a formula, a foreign policy of sorts for embracing a supply that, let's face it, I've neglected for years.

The result of this overthinking is Susan's First Theory of Using Colored Cardstock on CAS Cards.

I told you I was geeking out in the title of this post.

So, what's the CASest thing you can do with color? Monochromatic schemes, of course. So the First Theory states that the card base should be a light shade, the matte should be a darker shade of the same color, and the stamped panel should be white. The stamping should be simple, with a sentiment stamped in either dark brown or black, depending on what looks best with the color you choose.

Sort of like this.



 Bling optional.

Not really. Bling is necessary.

I made four of these in record time. Well, I made two with this sentiment and two with a Thank you sentiment because I just had to vary them somehow.

You'll be seeing more examples of the First Theory in the coming weeks. Because seriously, I'm geeking. I expect I'll also have to come up with a Second Theory eventually...because otherwise what's the point of having a first theory?

Happy Wednesday!

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: Memento
paper: Mark's Finest, Papertrey
accessories: dimensionals, rhinestone

33 comments:

  1. Hooray for things to do with coloured card stock!

    I might have a *cough* bit of that stashed away in the drawers.

    Lovely fresh colours too!

    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant the colours on your card are lovely and fresh. Not necessarily the card stock in my drawers. Although I'm sure I have some of that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And finally, let's not think too hard about the other meaning of drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that the Third Theory of Using Coloured Cardstock states that for each & every sheet of old cardstock used, there is an equal & opposite sheet of new cardstock to be bought. See, even the Laws of Cardmaking are against you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this. It would still take me a long time to make. But I love this idea. I've got LOTS of cardstock, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this yummy green, very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great theory and I love how you illustrated it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card! By the way, you can never have too much paper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so classy! I just love the soothing color/shades of this! Thanks for the inspiration. Note to myself: I NEED to buy better cs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your geeky post and lovely card. I will try out your First Theory and look forward to the second.

    cheers,
    Malyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that colour scheme - pear tart I presume? And, as you say, bling is necessary, not optional.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too funny!! I just love that First Theory. Gonna have to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Both the card and the theory. I'm very much looking forward to more theories, because 1) I have tons of colored card stock, 2) due in large part to your influence, I don't use nearly as much colored card stock as I used to, and 3) the first theory alone will have me running out of the lighter colors much faster than the dark ones!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clearly your theory works because this card is
    lovely! I do think colored cardstock works for
    CAS and that "white space" doesn't have to be
    white. I too am wanting some of the A Muse paper
    and ink, neither of which I "need". You seem very
    disciplined and thoughtful about your purchases
    and I am trying to be as well, however, it doesn't
    mean I won't buy that paper and ink.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No, I don't think "geeking out" is an appropriate title. It's more like frugality or responsibility to me. Your card design is just perfect! May I have the dimensions please?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this beautiful card! I also love your thought process:) I'm looking forward to Theory #2, but in the meantime, I'll be practicing Theory #1 ...and adding bling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do like your theory! I almost always fall back to white for my card base because I almost always stamp my focal image on white cs so then think the card base should match it. I might matt with coloured cardstock to pick up something in the image but that doesn't help me use up my coloured cs stash very quickly. So I'm going to try using your theory. Looking forward to theory two!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful theory! Beautiful card! Can't wait for theory #2.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great theory = great card! I love it, and I'm looking forward to the whole series of theories. You made me smile this gray morning. Thanks! My overflowing cardstock shelf thanks you, too. BTW, you were right about persisting in hitting that Post Comment tab -- three times seems to be the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Geeking out or otherwise your card is LUSH! and I reckon you can never have too much card and paper (you should see my stash!)

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful card - made me smile immediately. Thanks for sharing it with us, I love your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG - your post totally just cracked me up. People are going to think I'm nuts cause I'm sitting at my desk laughing out loud. Your geekiness resonates with me because it sounds exactly like what I would do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for using colored cardstock on this one! It's nice to get some ideas for it since we all have so much! And I have lots of odd colors that I don't really like, but I don't want to waste either. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I whole-heartedly agree with your theory. This is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  26. you are a hoot.and.a.half!!
    love your theory, and love your card.
    thanks!!
    marty ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  27. Excellent card - nice balance all around. Thanks for the morning laugh. I love your sense of humor and hope to hear more theories here. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excellent first theory! I think I've unconsciously used it myself, just not this effectively. :P

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooooh loving the first theory!!! awaiting the second now......and I so agree that card is great :O) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I will be adding both theories to my to do list. I have so much color card stock just calling me to do something with them. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Visiting you using the Cards from Lynne's Loft blog . . . that's one TERRIFIC theory. Now off to read the second one . . .

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!