Tuesday, March 8, 2011

One-Layer Wednesday 44: Marta's Pinterest Inspires

First of all, this would normally be Jennifer's week for the challenge, but she's cooking up something special for next week and wanted to swap. So here I am, posting the OLW44 Challenge, which gives me even numbers now. What a relief. Those odd numbered weeks were really freaking me out.

Last week, I stumbled upon the website Pinterest via a blogger named Marta, whose blog Marta Writes is both smart and inspiring and resides in my Google Reader so I don't miss a post. She also has a number of inspiration boards posted at Pinterest, a website for "pinning" photos of really cool stuff on your very own virtual inspiration board.

Marta's boards will provide our inspiration challenge this week!

When you go to her boards, you'll find lots of photographic goodness to inspire your own One-Layer Wednesday Cards. If you start to feel overwhelmed by the goodness of it all, just focus on one board or photo. You really can't go wrong even picking at random! You'll find patterns, textures, color combinations, shapes...all sorts of cool ideas you can play with on a piece of folded cardstock.

I've already made about five cards using Marta's boards as jumping off points, but I'll just share this one today. It uses the color combo and headline layout on this picture, set in a lot of glorious white space. And please notice the slightly rounded corners.


Scallop scissors, I love you.



I also love my honey-bunny hubby, who will be getting this lovely in his lunch box tomorrow!


OLW44 Rules

1. A one-layer card is defined as a single layer of cardstock folded in half. No other layers of cardstock are allowed. Remember to keep embellishments to a minimum for a clean and simple look!

2. Find inspiration for your card on Marta's Pinterest Boards.

3. Post your card (and the link to the inspiration photo!) somewhere on the internet and then link to your card using the InLinkz button on the sidebar of Simplicity.

4. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts alphabet, StampinUp always
ink: StampinUp Tempting Turquoise, Real Red; Memento Rich Cocoa, Desert Sand
paper: Papertrey Ink white
accessories: scallop scissors



18 comments:

  1. Thanks for lovely inspiration! Your card is so awesome! I´ve added mine!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, your links sent me on a wonderful half hour journey. Thank you very much. Love your card and that you used a variety of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab card! I noticed the slightly rounded corners before reading that part and peered at them closely wondering how you'd managed to round them so little! Clever you.

    I'm off to look at the boards now... I might be a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trickier than I thought as I could really have spent the week trawling those boards . . .

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a fabulous inspiration site! I saw a photo and instantly thought of a card -- THAT doesn't happen often with me! I'll be back.. ps I also saved as a favorite site-- for those days when the brain says WHAT?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't 100% convinced by my first card though ... some people have said some real nice things about it (for which I thank you all) so had another go but - can you have something which is TOO CAS???? I'm sleeping on it before linking it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of Pinterest, so it was fun to look around. I love your card - the colorful letters of LOVE and that wonderful always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! Love the fun colors of that sentiment. Very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you soooo much for sharing about martawrites.com as well as her Pinterest - so much inspiration!!!

    I saw your inspiration photo - the first board I looked at, in fact. Funny that.

    ...in the spirit of sharing....

    anyway, her blog reminded me of a couple of design blogs I love:How about orange and Collage Diva.

    cheers,
    Malyn
    http://thinkinkcreative.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot to mention in the previous comment that I love your card - and your site, in fact. I'm coming to a realisation that my style is more aligned CAS and OLC principles and you pretty much set me on to it.

    cheers (again),
    Malyn
    ThinkInkCreative

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad I could play along this time. And Susan, thanks for your kind comment on my blog. Truly appreciate you taking time out to come over. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am thinking if I should go and round the corners of my card too! :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yet another fabulous challenge. It was still a toughie, not only choosing inspiration but actually get the card to work how I'd hoped. Well worth it the end however. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, not my best work because I'm a bit rusty. It was fun though. Thanks for the great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love following your blog and this card just caught my eye, it's lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really hope you dont mind me joining in, I have a budget papercrafting blog, so my blog cards sometimes look a bit alternative, but your challenge and blog really inspired me... I had to have a little play. Your card and all the entries so far look amazing and I hope to get a chance to hop round and look at them properly.
    Big thank you for the intro to Marta's boards!!
    Diane
    (despite my alternative approach I am also a seriously addicted stamper and crafter!!).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!