Saturday, July 2, 2011

One Layout, Two Ways, and Some Miscellaneous Chatter

Today's cards use Happy Trails, a recent release from Papertrey. There are a lot of different images in this set, and I think it's going to be hugely fun and versatile.

I started making a whole set of this one-layer card, just varying the colors.


Then, I wondered how it would look on a colored card base. I pulled out my Fiskar's label template and shape cutter UFO thingamabob and went to work trying to use up some colored card bases I'd already cut. That's why the blue of the card below is softer than the dark blue ink above (it's not your computer screen...it really is different).


So which do you prefer: one layer or two? I am totally on the fence. They both work for me.

Now, on the issue of photos and x's and weird looking computer screens....

1. If you ever have a problem viewing a web page (i.e., there are red x's where photos belong), try clicking the torn page icon next to the url box at the top of Internet Explorer. It might fix your problem. Thanks to Lorrinda for sharing this bit of enlightenment.

2. I'm loading the pictures into Blogger's edit mode, and that SEEMS to have fixed the problem for most of you. If you are still having trouble, it's likely your email program's security settings blocking the photos.

3. In the next few days, I'm going to post some pictures on my other blog of our hike yesterday in the Hocking Hills of Ohio. If you live anywhere around here and haven't been, get off your butt and go. The Old Man's Cave hike is totally amazing, and as with so many natural wonders, photos can't do it justice--although George got some good ones. Water sculpts rock in beautiful ways, and these hills are an awe-inspiring example of water's artistry.

19 comments:

  1. Susan, you are the queen of one layer cards! I think the first is my favorite. Loving that bright pop of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I do like both cards, I prefer the first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like them both, but i can't resist all that white goodness in the first card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the first one wins by the tiniest margin! Lovely image!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how to ask this delicately, but doesn't that ink splotch bother you? :) It bothers ME! But other than that, great cards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Great cards, the first wins by a mile in my book but both are great as I said LOL. Sounds as if your hike was a success, I'll be popping over to catch the photos and look forward to seeing them:0)Gay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both get my vote - very lovely. Will have a look at your other blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both are great....but possibly the first one is my absolute favourite. Have a good 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The single layer is my personal favorite, love the feather. Had a hop about and your CDO button on your last blog is brilliant.
    Just been through my comment and tried to put in all the capitals, full stops.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the first card. Boy! how it got my attention. I love bright colors. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer the first one. The crisp whiteness, and the bright blue ink, is just such a good contrast. I also like writing on a white background (although I know you can add a piece of white over dark CS), and I have some very nice find point pens in various colors (Marvy Le Pens)that I match with the stamp ink used. My royal blue Le Pen would look so good to use on the inside of that first card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to be the odd one out BUT I prefer card No. 2 - for me it is gentler on the eye, I find No.1 a teensy bit stark. OOOOOOPS. he he he

    Mary Mac

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like them both but have a preference for the second one - probably because I absolutely love that particular shade of blue of the cardbase!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My vote goes for the first one. I can just see a set of them, all in different colors.

    Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Although we disagree in that I prefer the second card, we do agree that Ohio is a beautiful state. Love it there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan
    Love them both!!!!
    (is it because I love blue?? lol)
    Seriously they both have their own unique charm.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  17. They do both work well, but my favourite is the white card base with the crisp contrast of the dark blue.
    Thanks for listing me in your favourites today on Splitcoast, it was a very nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are great Susan...I really need this set too :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like both of them equally, and see where this set will be VERY versatile!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!