Friday, July 29, 2011

Starry, Starry Night

The blue of this specialty paper from my stash is gorgeous, is it not?


Something about this card really appeals to me, but for the life of me, I can't articulate what it is. The design isn't particularly good...in fact, the spray of silver cord strikes part of me--the logical, sensible part--as distinctly odd.

But another part of me--the symbolic, artsy, vague part--loves the intimation of a comet or shooting star contrasted with the stable, very traditional star (which is made of wood painted with a silver metallic pen). Stable and transient. Movement and stasis.

Wow. Those last two statements illustrate the rhetorical trope of chiasmus. A and B. B and A. That transposition of the order of meaning in two pairs is something Alexander Pope uses in one of his poems...probably Essay on Man, but I'm not sure about that. It's been a while, but every time I think of chiasmus, I think of Pope. Shakespeare, too. (Okay, I checked. Pope did use chiasmus in Essay on Man, though he certainly might have used it in other places.)

Oh good grief. I can hear you unsubscribing from Simplicity. Ayyyeeeeee! Run screaming from the weird English Lit freak spouting classical rhetoric!

Don't worry. Tomorrow's card will be sensible and down to earth. But for tonight, I'm feeling very starry and rhetorical.

And I swear I only had one small glass of wine.

15 comments:

  1. I just thought it was really pretty !! Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the paper has graded color-it adds depth to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the card!! So glad you came back to using more common English...I think I'll stay. LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks just fine to me (without all the meaning behind it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might be in the minority, but I love a sprinkling of classical rhetoric here and there. Of course, I was an English major too ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Girl! Stay starry! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that your blog includes intelligent musings -- gotta use our WHOLE brains!!

    You're in my prayers all the time and I'm so glad I found your blogs!

    hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the card! I would never have thought of using a spray of metallic cord... I'm going to have to remember that!
    I recently learned about chiastic structure, and I remember thinking at the time that I'd NEVER come across it again....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bwahaha!! You just crack me up! I didn't understand much of what you said however, loved the card! :) (and I am still a subscriber!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hee hee, lovely card Susan, glad you're having fun:0) Gay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't stop the rhetoric! I love it and the card(s).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looked it up on Wiki; still don't understand it; but love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That blue paper really is fabulous... and obviously thought-provoking to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL You crack me up Susan!! This card is very artsy and beautiful - I love that blue paper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your musings and all of your cards so i will stay Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!