Wednesday, May 9, 2012

An Easy Technique that Exploits Clear Stamps and Smooch Ink

First of all, don't forget OLW87 on Jennifer's Blog! Hope I can play tomorrow!!!


One great thing about clear stamps is how incredibly easy it is to place them almost exactly where you want them. It's not as precise as I would like, but I experimented with double stamping solid images to get a soft, layered effect, and today's technique doesn't have to be precise. It's actually quite forgiving.

First, let's look at the finished card and matching envelope.


The paper is Fabriano Medioevalis...gorgeous watercolor paper with natural deckled edges. Yum. And don't you love the mottled look of the koi? Creating this look is amazingly easy!

1) First, stamp a solid image in a waterproof ink. I used Memento Tangelo

2) Then, clean the stamp and sponge Smooch (I used Carrot) directly onto the clean stamp. Don't cover the whole image...leave blotches of the ink on the stamp.

3) Re-stamp the image, aligning it as closely as possible to the ink image.

4) Sit back and appreciate your shimmery stamping!

I experimented with lots of color combinations and quickly discovered that some work better than others. (That's one advantage of having lots of bottles of Smooch!) Generally, monochromatic stamping with a lighter shade of ink than the Smooch works great, but gold Smooch on the tangelo looked icky. Silver looked great on light blue, though. Sometimes, light colors of Smooch show up great on darker inks (the lightest pink Smooch and hot pink Memento ink look awesome!) but light blue Smooch disappeared on dark blue Memento. Play around on scrap paper before committing good card stock to whatever combo you want to try.

What do you think? Does it make you want to order a selection of Smooch? *wink*

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Ink Masculine Motifs
ink: Memento, Smooch
paper: Fabriano
accessories: envelope, sponge, plastic paint tray

10 comments:

  1. YUP!!! That is gorgeous! Don't make me break down and buy Smooch when I've successfully resisted so far. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got to get me that stamp set, but the watercolour card ..... where can I get that, deckled edge oh heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a koi stamp, now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card, Susan. I haven't gone the Smooch route yet but if ever I do buy some it will be all because of YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does make me want to run out and buy some smooch! This is a lovely technique; so glad you shared it. I think I might just have to go to Michael's and see what they've got! This technique would really classy up a pretty plain stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smooch and that stamp set, even though it's really the only image I could see using. Question: what do you do with all your cards? I know you mail a lot and give gifts but you make A LOT of cards. Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'most every day i promise myself that i will use what i have before i buy ANY more....

    ok, maybe i'll start that tomorrow!

    love this technique. i think i need some smooch.

    marty ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is absolutely stunning, Susan! Love the cardstock and that beautiful koi! Great technique! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice card! I adore the shimmering koi. Very pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing how you did this technique. I was wondering after reading your newer post about it. It doesn't make me want to go out and buy a wide selection of Smooch, but it does give me an idea of what to do with the little bits of Smooch I do have. I asked hubby for gold Smooch for my birthday. He bought me a little variety pack that had sweet melon in it because to his eye that was gold.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!