Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Inspired by Christina MacLaren

It's been a long time since a magazine inspired me as much as Card Creations Volume 10 has. There's just so much goodness hitting me at just the right time and when I'm in just the right mood, I guess.

Today's inspiration comes from Christina MacLaren, whose black-based card with white embossing totally grabbed my attention. The way all the images fall off the left side of the card really appealed to me.



I decided to pull out some StampinUp and Hero Arts office-supply images and play. Here's what I came up with:



How fun is this?!?!? You know I had to use a white base because I'm me, but I kept Christina's color scheme of white, black, and red...just changed the proportions. Using the white background allowed me to create a visual triangle of red, which helps unify the card nicely. Christina's card doesn't have a unity problem like my version because she uses the strip of white card stock to create a clear focal point, and the background images support her card's sentiment perfectly. My card doesn't have that clear focal point (unusual for me, I know), so some other aspect of the design has to fill in to bring the main message into focus.

The calendar (from a Hero Arts stamp) is positioned so that I can circle the birth date of whatever person receives this card. I'd originally planned on using a red pen for that, but then decided to make the Happy red instead, since that pulled the sentiment into the design so much better.

I hope my design blatherings make sense.

Anyway, this card makes me happy, and I hope it has the same effect on you!

10 comments:

  1. Susan, what a thrill and an honor to see that my card inspired you! Thank you so much for the shout out!
    I just love the mix of stamps you used on your version and that fabulous, clean white background. How fun to include a calendar so you can personalize it, too. I always enjoy reading the stories behind your designs, but this one is extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FAB-u-lous, Susan! YOU are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe of your endless creativity. Your card is fantastic, especially the calendar for personalizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of circling the persons birthday! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. been wondering what to do with some tim holtz diecuts.. and here u are!! such inspiration.. thanks :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your version of Christina's card! I now have some ideas on how to creatively and effectively use some of my neglected stamps. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally awesome and well-put together card, Susan! I love your descriptions and reasons you do what you do...puts it all into perspective for me {always learning something new}.
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both cards are stunning. Amazing what you can create with just one layer of CS and the stories you tell are so funny. All the stamps are Hero Arts?

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this card. could never make it but can LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome card Susan! Fun design and I love how the red pops off the card! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!