Monday, May 21, 2012

Finding My Mojo Again: Inspired by Card Creations and Emily Leiphart

Lately, I've sat down too often in my (still unfinished) craft space and felt...unmotivated?...uninspired?...distracted?...pointlessly wallowing in crafty malaise? Whatever I've been feeling, it's not been fun.

Heather's OLW challenge certainly got me going, but after I made those three cards, I sorta lost steam again. So I picked up Card Creations Volume 10 from Papercrafts Magazine.

OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So for the next few days, I'm going to share cards that came out of a VERY fruitful two hours on Sunday. First up is one inspired by the very talented Emily Leiphart. Hi, Emily!!!!



I loved her use of curves and lines but don't have the dies she used to make this. Sooooo, I pulled out my punches. My version is smaller...using a 3/4" square punch and a 1 1/4" circle punch, which I then trimmed a bit.



I also used just four SU colors of card stock, because Emily may be comfy using seven colors, but I am not. Four colors make me itch...seven would give me a major case of hives!
If you look closely, you'll notice the bottom right square is just a bit off. This is what happens when you glue something down wrong. And the glue doesn't move after just a few seconds. Darn. Oh, well. At least someone will know it is handmade, and therefore special!

No matter. This was INCREDIBLY FUN to make, definitely fresh and definitely enough to jump-start my enthusiasm again. Thank you, Emily, for doing that for me. Mwah!


Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Sign Language
paper: SU marina mist, baja breeze, certainly celery, cool caribbean; PTI white
ink: SU marina mist
accessories: square punch, circle punch, scissors, Corner Chomper

19 comments:

  1. What a FUN card!!! Now I have to go find that magazine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS take on Emily's card! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning card ... I think I MUST case it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful as always! Did not notice the bottom right being off...but of course, we, the creators always notice when our products are less than perfect! Have you heard of "Un-Do" ? It's a liquid you apply directly onto your craft project whenever you glue or tape something down that you then want to change. It STINKS to high heaven but works like a charm. Everything dries and you never know it was there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! The colors, the design, everything!!!
    Glad you have you're mojo back, I know how hard it is to make cards without it :)

    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  7. unmotivated?...uninspired?...distracted?...
    This is called "notivation", a word invited by a blogging friend which matches the words you used. Her defination of notivation is " Notivation is the state of not being motivated to do..well, anything."
    Glad you're back in the grove.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great card! Now I want to CASE your CASE ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. your mojo came back wonderfully! love your card in those colors. i am reading "imagine" by jonah leher - fascinating book about creativity. i think you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's that humor again! Thanks for the smile [on my birthday!] -- love your CASE of Emily's work. I gotta check out that magazine~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you got inspired and produced cards you're happy with. Love the blues and greens together. And what a clever way to CASE Emily's card!

    I'm finding I'm much more motivated to make cards now that the reorganization of my craft space is finished. I wonder if that's part of the source of your malaise?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh I know what you mean, I'm having trouble motivating myself lately but I do make cards to excess so it's hardly surprising really. Emily is a wonderful inspiration, I'm so glad you're up and running again. Fun card Susan, xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this card, I'm all about geometric shapes, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Susan - firstly great that you've got your mojo back. Just love your card and the inspiration for it.......truthfully I prefer your version!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun to see you casing my card, Susan! I've had a rough couple of weeks so your shout out brought a much-needed smile to my face. Your choice of shape sizes and colours make your card so sweet and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I said I wanted to CASE your CASE... and I just did. (Posted on my blog.) Thank you for inspiring me with your simple interpretation! Your card and Emily's are both beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!