Sunday, May 13, 2012

Geezer Explained and a Yellow Card

In my last post, I referred to my husband as a geezer at 47 years old. This is a bit of a running joke since I've referred to him as a geezer since our early twenties. You see, he's ALWAYS going to be older than I am. So no matter how old I feel, he's older. And this makes me feel good.

He can tease me about my gray hair, and I can counter with teasing about his baldness: "At least I HAVE hair!" But that just evens the score.

He will never be able to counter the age thing, so I WIN. We laugh a lot in this house. And exaggerate. As I've grown older, I now believe that people all people except my husband need to be at least 90 to be geezers. When I'm 80 (God willing), I'm sure I'll bump geezer age up to 100. But George is a geezer right now and has been for twenty-plus years.

And now for a yellow card.




Design Discussion: Nothing cosmic, but it's pretty, no? I actually tried a black mat under the stamped panel and did NOT like it, which totally surprised me. It would seem that a touch more black would unify the design, but it made it look really heavy and off. I suspect if I had a dark gray ink and paper, a mat would have worked great. Sometimes, black is just too stark.

The yellow card stock is from Gina K and is my favorite yellow card stock ever. It's really yellow without being too yellow, if you know what I mean.



Supplies
stamps: A Muse (flowers), SU (sentiment)
ink: honestly can't remember the yellow; Memento black
paper: Gina K yellow, PTI white
accessories: yellow pearls, dimensionals

19 comments:

  1. beautiful! love how elegant it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the yellow! Your geezer comment about your hubby cracked me up! I could feel your love for him wrapped up in the word :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a refreshing a beautiful card! I agree, the black mat would have given it a whole new (and not necessarily good) vibe.
    I had to laugh when I read the color of your yellow ink. I've never seen that one before. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this card! Points, too, for using colored CS! I've got such a stash of it! I'll be casing this for sure! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad always said that middle age was 10 years older than he was-so by that definition middle age was 103 when he passed!
    How wonderful that you have a house that laughs-we do too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, heard lots of love in the reference to "geezer." I think it's a cute word and am proud to be one to all who are younger than I. It also gives me an excuse for some of the goofy stuff I do. Geezers get a pass on some things, including some mighty good discounts. ;-)

    I like the card, but would like to see it with some grey matting, too. Guess I'll have to make one myself.

    I hope you had a great Mother's Day and Geezer celebrated right along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's cosmic and so very pretty! I love the way it is. I agree, you should be laugh at anything around the house--whether it's old age and baldness, at least we can laugh TOGETHER! It's a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, understand 'geezer' very well....my DH is a lot older than me.
    I agree that sometimes black is just too stark a colour - I try to head folks who are choosing a colour of ink for invitations to go for dark grey rather than black....grey is warm whereas black is just cold and stark...Yes, gray/grey would be good here but I like it just as it is....we have precious little sun here so it's welcome...yesterday we had gales aplenty with lilac strewn across the lawn...it was and still is like winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your yellow (whatever ink it is) card. Goes well with the cardstock. Hope you and the geezer have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite agree Susan - my DH is definitely a "geezer" as he's older than me......! Love the card just as it is but, like you, would have thought the hint of a black mat behind would enhance but it really doesn't need anything.

    Hugs.

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well how wonderfully yellow is that! Your comments also make me realise why the card I started in yellow and black is not finished as its really not working for me I think it is too stark a contrast - sometimes you just need to look at it through someome elses eyes!
    My hubby is a geezer too - its great as he goes up a decade before me so I have the 40 something etc wobbles with him and don't notice when its my turn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The yellows are beautiful in this card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see why the black wouldn't work on this - a good lesson for me as I always want to layer my focal image. It is such a sunny cheerful summery card the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Re: yellow & black, what if you didn't do a full mat but just did 2 diagonally opposite 'L' shaped corners like a photo corner(top right, bottom left) or just a thin mat on 2 whole sides (the whole of the left & the bottom sides). Sorry am I explaining myself adequately? In England a geezer is just a man (I think it's cockney slang)as in 'a real tasty geezer' (George Clooney/Brad Pitt/whoever floats your boat) or 'a dodgy geezer' (a bit of a rogue).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really pretty. I love yellow! So cheerful. Great card, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice card! I like the yellow stamped panel on the yellow base. I would probably have tried a kraft or brown tone mat and because I don't have the sense of style or perfection you have, I would have liked it. Heehee! Though I love black and yellow but I too think it would have been too "harsh" for this card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. love it :) Went through an yellow + white phase recently.. And it was quite nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan, Great design, and so bright and sunny. I have to agree, Gina K's yellow is one of the prettiest out there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the bright yellow!! I'm the geezer in our relationship, so watch out!!! And thanks for the card and gift -- not necessary but most appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!