Monday, December 14, 2009

CAS45 I've Got [Unusual] Curves

OMG, this week's CAS challenge totally inspired me. I've already made four cards, and it's only 7:00 Monday morning! Needless to say, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. [For those who are new to the CAS challenges at SCS, new challenges are posted late Sunday night. Come play with us!]

Today, I'm posting my favorite of last night's creative binge. It's a totally wow card for me...an unusual design, sort of modern and graphic, and yet soft, incredibly fast, and with just a bit of bling.



First of all, this was intended to be a one-layer card, but I stamped the sentiment crooked, even using a stamp positioner. I'm a dork, but in this case, it was fortuitous. The original design looked odd because the card was too tall for the Hero Arts curvy shadow stamp. Cutting it out and mounting it white-on-white was the perfect fix to make the card balanced.

FYI, I did test it on a cool caribbean card base, but it looked much more "LateBlossom" on white. At this rate, it's gonna take me the rest of my life to use all the colored cardstock I've collected.

I'm not complaining. Just making an observation.

Anyway, my thoughts on this unusual card. The sentiment implies growth, upward movement, and the curve that gets bigger as it goes up reinforces that. The colors are soft and dreamy (Versamagic sea breeze and persimmon), as is the font combination of the sentiment. The two gemstones are actually a bit paler in real life. They help move the eye up the card and give a sense of completeness that was missing in the design before I added them.

Not bad for 1:00 in the morning, eh?

Supplies
stamps: SU HAppy Harmony, Hero Arts curvy shadow stamp
ink: VersaMagic sea breeze, persimmon
paper: PTI white
accessories: dimensionals, gemstones (Hero Arts)

19 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME! Wow you have the perfect stamp to go with the challenge and sentiment to go with it! LOVE the white popped up on white and of course LOVE the bling! Cant wait to see the others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not bad????......are you kidding me..it is awesome!!!!!! Wow!!! Girl you are so amazing!!! Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Just love it...so elegant.
    You are a night person like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back...having no joy in finding this stamp....is it really new? Would appreciate any help you can give. I'm in the U.K of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a discontinued Hero Arts stamp that's part of a set called Horizontal Graphics. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you thought so much about coordinating the sentiment with the size of the curves. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that turned out so great! I love the white on white, and I have this quote stamp! Not that I'm going to do something cool and curvy with it, but I still have it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Susan....will keep my eyes open for that one in the future...just love the simplicity (!!) of it.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your curves may be unusual but totally fabulous!!! I own this stamp and never used it. Maybe now I will, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this stamp, but never thought of using it like this. This is awesome. And don't worry about your coloured cardstock - you need it for backgrounds of your photos, even if it never gets turned into cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd say not bad for anytime of the day (or night)! It's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Not only is it CAS perfection but the fact that the sentiment totally plays with the graphics is so cool! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i love this card.

    you are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    marty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just lovely....very cool stamp, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome! Love the curvy stamp and the soft colours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've used another HA stamp that I have and don't know how to use. I will definitely be copying this design.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agree with all that has been said above this is just so cool and I love it ..... wish I had your stamina!!
    This really is on another level ... you have such a great eye for design.
    Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have looked at this card so many times and haven't commented yet cause I'm not sure if I can adequately express how much in awe I am of it - Looks like something that should be hanging in a graphic arts museum!! Wish I could crawl into your head sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!