Thursday, December 24, 2009

Some Love for StampinUp and Discussion of The Different

Given my recent Hero Arts kick (OMG, the new catalog!), I decided to post a StampinUp card today. We can't have all my SU sets feeling all sad, neglected, and sorry for themselves at Christmas.

As part of my resolution to use all my stamp images, I recently pulled out Stay Tuned, an old set of 50s television and radio images. I bought it at the same time I bought Mix and Mingle (toaster, upright mixer, blender, etc.). The only reason these two sets got added to my stash was that they were DIFFERENT. I eventually learned to wait a few months to order stamps that are just DIFFERENT to make sure I really, really wanted them and would use them. Hence all the sticky notes in my new catalog. If I still want some of them in a few months, I'll buy them. I do the same thing with the SU catalog in July.

Here's the best card I made with Stay Tuned.



It's actually a bit better IRL because the radio is embossed in clear EP, so it's shiny, like the old bakelite radios. The radio was stamped on a scrap of white and cut out. I used a craft knife to cut the antenna out first, then used CutterBee scissors for the rest. The oval is my first AMuse stamp ever (I also got the small oval). Those two stamps are SUPER for grounding images.

Back to the idea of buying stamps because they are different. When you have as many stamps as I have, you may start to feel like everything you see is old hat. "Oh, I have a flower set similar to that one.... I could substitute this leaf/cupcake/greeting/Christmas tree I already have and make a card that looks just like this one with the latest and greatest from Acme Stamps."

When this is your mentality, you're vulnerable to exploitation by The Different. Stay Tuned and Mix and Mingle are not exactly my style. They were just different from everything else I had. I find them hard to use. Now that I've used the images in Stay Tuned, I'll probably put it in the basement for 6 months, not use it, and then take it to the ebay store to sell. So sad.

Simplicity Wisdom: Sometimes, The Different is wonderful. Sometimes, The Different is just, well, different. Learn to tell the difference, and you can save yourself money, time, and energy.

And now for something different. Merry Christmas Eve! The best gift I've received all year is the gift of your support for this blog. Thank you ever so much!

Supplies
stamps: SU Stay Tuned, Amuse oval
ink: SU only orange; Palette noir; Colorbox turquoise pigment
cardstock: PTI white, SU turquoise
accessories: dimensionals, black half-beads, clear embossing powder

15 comments:

  1. Yes, not your usual perhaps, but this card is awesome! The colours are so perfectly retro. And the design is CAS perfection! Love it, can you tell? :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the card, Susan. The colors and design are wonderful. I just thought of a few other sayings you could use with this image. How about - "Did you hear the (latest) news?" or, "Flash, this just in....", or even "We've fine tuned our move and here are the details."? Either print them with your computer, handwrite them or maybe JustRite stamps would be the answer.

    I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, susan, for your wisdom, your wit, your insight, your creativity, your genius, your friendship. this is my favorite place to visit each day!

    merry christmas to you and your fellas. have a wonderful and relaxing celebration.

    with love,
    marty ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok STOP! I think this is one of my favorite cards by you! I just LOVE the retroness (is that a word?) and the addition of the black what looks like brads for knobs is PERFECTION!! The colors and simplicity I am going to stop typing now so I can go back and oogle over it! Merry Christmas my Friend! Hugs and Love, Cookie..Now back to oogling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh have to say after I oogled a bit more that I LOVE the way you cut out the radio and put it on the oval stamp! I really need to get one of those I have been meaning to forever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always saying thanks to you but I want to say it again....THANKS again for all the wonderful things I've seen since I discovered your blog. Merry Christmas and God's Blessings to you and yours both now and through 2010 when I trust and pray He will continue to endow you with creativeness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas to you and your family, Susan! I've really enjoyed reading your blog since I found it in May or so. I enjoy your posts on Questioning My Intelligence also--I'm amazed at how much we have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your card! It's so Fifties! That shade of blue would have matched my MIL's kitchen cabinets years ago. Thanks for the tip about grounding with the oval -- it adds so much. I just keep learning from you. Best wishes for a blessed Christmas and New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog..it's one of my "go tos" each day...I, too bought this set b/c it was different..then what to do with it? ha! this gives me the incentive to pull it out and "do something with it", too!
    Keep up the great blog and such interesting reading! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas to you, too. Thanks for all the fun tips and great CAS style you share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why don't you make "use every stamp" a challenge for your blog readers, so we can all encourage each other to use what we have?

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found your blog not too long ago and have enjoyed it immensely! Just wanted to wish you and yours a very happy Christmas and wonderful New Year. Thanks for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really cute. The addition of the oval not only grounds the radio image but adds to the retro 50s feel.

    I'm like you when it comes to choosing stamps. I have SO many now that when I see something new that I love, I have to remind myself that I already have 10 other stamps very similar to it. I had to stop buying leaves and trees images because I had so many. I did try to go the "different" route for a while with a lot of vintage/collage/artsy type stuff. I realized after spending a lot of money that this just wasn't my style and all of it is in a "to put on ebay" box. Now before I buy, I try to really think about how I will use the stamps and how many times I will use them to make sure I get my value's worth. And because of that, I haven't bought many stamps at all recently. My usual craft purchases are cardstock and adhesive refills with the occasional new nesties set.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The turquoise and orange are fab and am so happy I came across your blog this year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great little card. I love that radio image, but I can imagine that it gets a little repititious to use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!