Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Children's Birthday Cards

Months ago, when I asked what you would like to see on Simplicity, several people requested cards for children and dudes. Ack! These are the hardest for me to make, mainly because I lost touch with my inner child as a teenager, and although I live in a testosterone-filled home, I've never understood dudes. Even the little ones who make pew-pew-pew noises all day long and drive me crazy.

There, I said it.

But the troops need cards to send their children, too. My general philosophy for kid cards is to use lots of bright color, cute images, and something punchy, like bling.

So I tried using the Cupcake set from Hero Arts and ended up wondering why the heck I bought the set. The loose line art doesn't fit my style at all. Ultimately, I must admit that the pressure of seeing hundreds of cupcake cards at SCS a few years ago broke me down. Anyway, the largest cupcake in the set has the cleanest design, so I made a bunch of easy, colorful cards and had fun with frosting.

This first uses white liquid applique for the frosting. This stuff rocks. Squeeze it where you want it, let it dry, then heat gently with a heat gun. Poof!



The next cupcake has coconut icing, also known as polar Flower Soft. Yummy!



Now, I'm on the lookout for a kid birthday set that is really clean and simple. Hero Arts doesn't have any I want, so if you have suggestions, please let me know. I'm going to spend some time with my SU catalog today to see if there's something I've overlooked there. I've wanted Bitty Birthday for a while. What do you suggest?

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: Palette noir
paper: gable green, orchid opulence, basic black, PTI white
accessories: Bic and Sharpie markers, Hero Arts rhinestones, liquid applique, Flower Soft, glue

15 comments:

  1. How about any of these:

    http://www.clearandsimplestamps.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=h&ProdSort=1&page=2&idCategory=41

    I have the "Oh Boy" set if you'd like me to stamp some images for you to try. Just holler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspiration -- and the nudge - I've been meaning to make cards for troops for months now. Your valentines were so sweet and I even have the cupcake set too so I've no excuses ! I think I'll get my New Year's company to assembly line valentines !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fun, bright colors you chose for these, Susan. One of my favorite kid sets is Hero Arts' Elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan, I have recently experimented with these two products myself - weird, but wonderful was my reaction! Great kids cards, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the inspiration...I have that cupcake set, and I'm always looking for new ways to use it! Love the Liquid Applique that you used. This is one of my favorites for kids' cards from My Cute Stamps (but it does need to be colored in)
    http://www.mycutestamps.com/birthdaynumbers.html

    and I like this one, too
    http://www.mycutestamps.com/sweetkawaii.html
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these cards.
    i have no favorites for kids, although the SU mini catty {coming out early January} may have something to offer you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all cute! Look good enough to eat! Happy New Year! Hugs coming your way...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice cards, Susan. I'll second Juanita on the mini catalog options coming up -- remember this: Fox and Friends.
    Also, My Cute Stamps has some great little monster stamps that work well for boys (we have a godson who loves them) -- or for girls who love monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have bitty birthday and love it. another one I use a lot for kids is SU teachers pet, remove the words and just the image of the animals. I also combine bath sets together dog and ballon etc.
    happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, thank YOU for posting on my blog! I have to confess, I check your blog daily. I should comment more often. Your cards are inspirational to me, and I've used them as a springboard for my own cards for OWH. You're from Charlotte! Southern girls rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know it's not a birthday set per se, but the 'Tiny Treats' set by PTI is wonderful for kids and I think it would tie in with your CAS style. The sentiments aren't necessarily for birthdays but some of them could work, or you could use sentiments from another set?

    I love cupcake cards and have to say I searched far and wide before settling on PTI's version. NB: I don't work for PTI, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the kid stamps! I tend to use animals for my kid cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So so love these cupcake cards!! (My fave is the green - love how you colored the liner with depth) I too have trouble with "dude" cards...so I'm looking forward to see what you have in store for us! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just today I wondered what I would do with my white flower soft and you came up with coconut icing! Hooray for you. Love you blog . . CAS makes my heart sing. HNY, Sharon D. NJ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!