Wednesday, February 4, 2015

For the Love of Color

Sometimes, a color combination strikes me as particularly fabulous, and I just have to play with it. Often, however, I struggle to make a card that truly lets the colors shine. After a few futile attempts with today's color combo, I fell back on an old favorite: punched squares. Given the inspiration piece, this isn't entirely unexpected, but it's sort of sad how much paper had to be wasted before this happened.


Look at these yummy colors!!!!



I also love the handwritten sentiment stamp...so loose and curvy with the rigid straight lines of the squares. Yay for contrast!

Here's the inspiration piece.

Source

Note that I changed the colors a bit. I don't have an adequate mustard-y ink or a blue in quite that shade. But after pulling out my closest Hero Arts inks, I was very happy with the results. Note that the pumpkin pie and pool inks are opposites on the color wheel, and combined with two neutrals (wet cement and soft charcoal), they really are quite stunning.

I'm going to play with this concept for some more color combos: take complementary colors and add two neutrals. I wonder how it would work with others.

And let this be a lesson. If you don't have the exact colors to match, go with what's closest in your stash. It's OKAY not to be precise...better to play than not, and you might find a happy new color combo!

Supplies
stamps: Clear and Simple Thinking of You limited edition
ink: Hero Arts
paper: Papertrey
accessories: 3/4" square punch, dimensionals

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a color challenge/inspiration card! I struggle with color challenges, especially if I'm not a fan of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your color combo, Susan...and the sentiment, also. Great white space and balance in this wonderful card.
    Hugs, Sunshine Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are yummy, my favorite fall combo. I love how you left that opening for your sentiment Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card and the inspiration photo too! The font of the sentiment is fabulous and the color combo is lovely!!! Reminds me that I've been neglecting the Sketched Shapes set from PTI. I should really pull that out soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!