Sunday, February 1, 2015

Getting Inspired...Evolution of an Idea

I hit an odd wall last week creatively speaking, and Pinterest came to the rescue. After perusing the package design pins and pinning some goodness, I poked around my Pure Inspiration board and played around. This pin, which I'd pinned a while back, struck me as particularly fabulous:


Source
As I tried to make it work for me, I found that having both Memento Luxe tuxedo black and espresso truffle inks made a huge difference.

First Effort: Meh



Two problems with this card. 1) The shell stamp is a bit too transparent and lets the text show through too much. Note that the inspiration focal images are dense enough to stand out better on the text background. My shell...not so much. 2) Both the focal point and text are stamped with tuxedo black, which further keeps the shell from standing out.

Second Effort: Better


I like this one much better (not least because there's so much glorious white space!), but it's not really in keeping with the inspiration photos because of that. Both the butterfly and text are stamped in espresso truffle, and while the photo editing made the butterfly look darker, it's not in real life.

BTW, there's a misspelling on this thanks stamp from Hero Arts, and I made sure the body of the butterfly covers it up. Yes, I was an English major.

Third Time's the Charm:



Not only is the third card truer to the gorgeous inspiration photos, the balance of inks is perfect. The text is still strong in espresso truffle, but the butterfly stands out perfectly in tuxedo black.

So the moral of the story...you can never have enough colors of ink. Nev. Er.



Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (Dictionary Greetings, Antique Engravings)
ink: Memento Luxe tuxedo black, espresso truffle
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: dimensionals

8 comments:

  1. I really like the butterfly images atop the dictionary stamping, Susan. The first is my least favorite. I believe I have that stamp set, and have never used it. I'll check for the misspelling before I so make a card with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, yes it works, the third card looks the best of the three. But now you have me peering closely at the screen but I cant see it so you have to tell, please. Whats the spelling error. It will consume my every waking hour just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like all 3 cards! But agree that the last one is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nev. Er. HAHAHAHA! I never would have thought to combine those two inks, but they work!!! And of COURSE you'd cover up a typo, as would I.

    I like how you show us why things don't work. Saves a lot of pretty trash on our end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cards, and i great inpiration. I have a loot of books witch my chincilla has eaten on. So i cant give them away, but i can make cards and bags like this.. Thanks for the inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!