Thursday, February 12, 2015

It's a Wrap!

Today, I played around with the wrap-around idea on these business cards, and had some fun results! To make the wrap for all three cards, I stamped the inside and outside portions and then scored in between. To give the panels a more finished look, I slightly rounded the corners with a pair of scallop scissors. There's no school like the old school.

I started pretty simple, with Papertrey's Wet Paint.




Love, love, love how the inside sentiment completes the idea and draws the reader into the card. But visually, there isn't anything connecting the outside and inside other than the color, so I tried this "sharp" idea. (I crack myself up!)




Now this heart-and-arrow card has both color and the arrow pointing the way to unify the inside and outside, plus it's cute! I just used a thin piece of post-it note to mask the center of the arrow to give the effect that it had pierced the heart.

Then, I made this fun birthday card.





 

The reason for the "happy happy birthday" panel on the inside...I had stamped the sentiment in the Kaleidacolor ink and didn't like it. The colors were too light, and it didn't really have enough visual weight on the page. It looked weird. So I covered the mistake and kept the inside of the card black and white.

I might send the birthday card to my sister and write something sarcastic like, "and it's a really BIG number!" She will laugh and then point out that I'll always be older than she is. But it might be worth it!

This wrap idea is brilliantly flexible and could be varied in all sorts of ways! You could die cut shapes, score down the middle, and wrap them around. You could "wrap" a large stamp around the card, and make it one layer. You could use stamp sets with outside/inside sentiments or divide long sentiments in two.

Go crazy and play!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Wet Paint, Heart Prints, one of the Heart to Heart sets, Birthday Bash Sentiments; Hero Arts arrow; Lily Bee numbers
ink: Hero Arts red royal, bubblegum pink; Memento black; Kaleidacolor
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: glue, Scor-Pal, scallop scissors

9 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fun idea! Love the numbers especially, but the others are really good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea is one of the best you've posted, as far as I'm concerned. I can't wait to begin wrapping! Thank you, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an AWESOME idea!! You go, girl! Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it to wonderful you...what a brilliant idea, Susan! Now I need to go make some of these wrap-around cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm absolutely impressed, I fell in love the first card!

    Happy Valentine's Day! Be inspired and loved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Love them all, and will CASE birthday right away!! You are so clever to have used the post-it that way. Fabulous inspiration. As.Always. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!