Friday, February 27, 2015

Inspired by Anita

As I was commenting on the One-Layer Simplicity Challenge entries for February (awesome cards over there, folks!), I came across Anita's lovely card and read that she'd used CHALK to make that pretty blended pink background.

Chalk!

I can't remember the last time I used chalk. It is, in fact, on my list of Use My Hoard supplies. Seeing how Anita made such a lovely background with chalks inspired me to pull out my chalks and play. Here is the first effort of that play.




This was FUN, not to mention quick and easy! I used pom-poms and an alligator clip "pen" (it has alligator clips on both ends of a wooden dowel) to rub the chalk onto the paper. Papertrey's paper has a slight tooth to it, so the chalks rub in and stick pretty well.

I love the soft effect, and the contrast with the solid block stamps makes me happy. I used pigment inks for nice, dense color over the soft chalk.  

My second card used a spectrum of colors.


I masked using post-it notes and blended the chalks using a fair amount of pressure to get denser color than on the first card, which heightened the drama a bit, don't you think?

So thanks, Anita, for inspiring me to use my chalks. Who knows when I would have gotten around to them if you hadn't inspired me!

And yes, I'm keeping the chalks.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey
ink: VersaMagic, Memento Luxe, Impress Fresh Ink
paper: Papertrey
accessories: chalk, alligator clips, pom-poms, post-its, dimensionals

9 comments:

  1. Wow Susan, these cards are brilliant. I also have those chalks that Have not been used for a long long time. Now its times to get them out again. Love both yourcards they are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful cards, Susan. We are so blessed to have this crafty community where we can, hopefully, inspire and be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me to pull out the chalks today! I admit, like you, it has been awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice and a motivation to get my chalks out as well. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both of these colorful cards, Susan! I also wanted to say how much I appreciate your specific and supportive comments on my cards in the One-Layer Challenge. I have admired your work (actually, I'm a "groupie") for a long time, and to hear your positive comments means a LOT to me. Thanks so much for taking that time and inspiring us so often with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan! I was just having a wonder around blogland when I found this post. Thanks so much for the shout-out :) I'm glad I inspired you to get crafty with your chalks. I love your super-simple style and I'm now your newest follower xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!