Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Doodlie-Do Background

While playing around with Doodlie-Do, I experimented with using lighter colors and fell in love with the set's potential as a background creator.

Now, y'all all know I'm a huge fan of white space...the empty space on cards. Some of you tell me you get itchy if there's "too much" white space on your cards, while I have spent an inordinate amount of time figuring out how much white space I can get away with.

The answer is A LOT.

But occasionally, I do play around with filling that space, and Doodlie-Do is SUPERB for creating fun, simple backgrounds.


Of course, I keep it simple and monochromatic, but can you imagine this sort of line-art background in polychrome? So pretty! Add Stickles more liberally than I added the bling here, and you could create a really shiny masterpiece of a background. And those of you who absolutely love to color could have a field day making backgrounds with this set!

But I'm me, so I kept it simple and pared down to the basics. It was extremely plain before I put the bling on, but I love the font of the sentiment and the way the sentiment is the focal point.

To create a random background like this, start stamping slightly off-center and work your way out to the edges. This particular background was made with just one largish stamp. If you've never stamped a random background before, using a single, larger stamp is generally easier. There's not much "random" about random stamping, and it can take a little practice to avoid unsightly holes in the design or, worse, trapped white space.

And now for a comment about that glorious green ink. It's Impress Fresh Ink Celery. I LOVE these inks and will be buying a few more. They are rich, wonderful pigment inks that dry quickly and make good, crisp images. If you're in the market for a good pigment ink, check them out. But I'll have more to say about that in tomorrow's post.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Doodlie-Do, Keep It Simple: Thinking of You
paper: Papertrey white
ink: Impress Fresh Ink celery, Memento black
accessories: rhinestones, dimensionals

8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!!!! Another winner!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this card! Not full of white space, but still CAS. Love the green! Do the Impress Fresh Inks stain your clear stamps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those flowers make a beautiful bg. I do love the bling Susan. Happy new Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo, love that you've made a background out of a single stamp.

    Susan, I have just visited your "trapped white space" blog post and would like to refer people to it from my blog. I have never heard of it before and it is such a useful concept for card/scrapbookers. Would it be ok if I posted a flavour of it on my blog and put a link to you? My blog is tiarahelen.blogspot.com. helen@tiaratiara.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. So fresh and such a light background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it! Hope you had a great Christmas.
    Thanks for inspiring and looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the next year.
    Happy New Year mf.
    hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the ink and love this card - the wonders of it made me gasp out loud!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful color. Your random stamping is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!