Sunday, December 28, 2014

Doodlie-Do, CAS Style

The Plans for 2015 post has some wonderful comments. If you haven't read them, I recommend checking them out. You'll find good company. Laura H. sent me an email with this lovely thought: "Junk is stuff you throw away; stuff is junk you keep!" I'll be having lots more to say about the Use Your Hoard Challenge in coming days. Stay tuned.

Today, we're going to talk about weird stamp purchases that work.

Sometimes, stamps call my name, and I'm baffled as to why. For instance, Papertrey's Doodlie-Do set doesn't seem to evoke LateBlossom style, does it? After all, it's clearly supposed to be colored in by people who actually like coloring...a lot. I, however, am not one of those people. When was the last time I colored something on this blog?

I'll take that challenge! Hold on a minute while I figure that out.

You might count the post nearly two months ago on November 5, 2014, in which I colored green berries red with a Sakura Stardust pen, but that seems pretty lame. If you go back to October 12th, I painted a white-embossed flower with Twinkling H2Os, and that seems a better candidate if you count painting as coloring. But the last time I colored with markers or pencils was...wait for it...August 26th.

That sounds about right.

So when Doodlie-Do called my name, I figured I'd be able to do other things with it than color. It's been lots of fun playing around with it, so no regrets!

My first instinct was to stamp repeatedly through a mask (to limit the stamped space and allow for lots of white space) and then spotlight color using Stickles.

First up, I used peacock Stickles, and I like it, but it's a little subtle.




So on the second card, I used true blue Stickles, and the color pop is definitely more pronounced...and prettier.



This super-easy and flat card lets the line art of the stamps shine, and it also showcases the Stickles in a very CAS way.

Cutting this mask was easy with my Omnigrid quilting ruler and a craft knife. Start with a quarter sheet of copy paper, and trim out a rectangle that leaves a half-inch border around three sides and creates an open space 1.5" tall. Put a few spots of temporary tape-runner adhesive along the sides, and adhere to the front of a standard card. Stamp to your heart's content!

So if you're not a colorer, don't be afraid to purchase and have fun with outline sets like this one. For the next few days, we'll explore some other options with this set. Yay!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Doodlie-Do, Clearly Besotted A Little Sentimental
ink: Memento tuxedo black
paper: Papertrey
accessories: copy paper, quilting ruler, craft knife, Stickles

10 comments:

  1. This looks great !! I love how you did this -- great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you kept these flowers CAS. Rather like the peacock Colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Doodlie-Do, and I love what you've created with it! I rarely colour this set, it's so beautiful just as it is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine how long it takes to color this level of detail in, Michelle. I'm not that committed, LOL!

      Delete
  4. thanks for the wonderful idea - I won't be buying this stamp set, I already have plenty of other stamps to use just like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are gorgeous, Susan! I rather like the true blue...makes it pop, alright. Thanks for such a wonderful idea...now to check out my stamps.
    Sunshine Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I too don't really like coloring -- and like Patricia J I have sets like this, that I am now inspired to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I'm not the only 'non-colourer' out there!! I really related to this blog post as I don't do any copic colouring (can't afford them and wouldn't know where to start with the process) and dabble in watercolour (but only very simply). Its funny because this stamp set caught my attention a while ago and I've loved seeing other people use it and colour it in. I know what you mean about some stamps being made for copics etc. I love the critter stamps but they don't seem quite right being stamped in black and that's it. Your idea for these flowers are fantastic and I must try experimenting with other ones like this. Thanks so much for the inspiration and Happy New Year to you and your family!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!