Monday, October 19, 2009

Circles on My Cards Make Me Happyyyyy...

They're as good as sunshine on my shoulders.

Here are two more of my cards using PTI's Peaceful Poinsettia using the smaller poinsettia images. I really enjoy cards with circles lined up on them. It's such a clean way of presenting images, don't you think? Especially when those images have lots of pointy petals for contrast.




First up is the gable green card base. I used to hate gable green, but, as with so many colors I have hated, I got over it. I used the outline poinsettias because the solid poinsettias overpowered the lighter green base.



Here's the red base version. I used the solid poinsettias because the green is so light in comparison to the red.

Which do you like best?

I prefer the gable green base because the red base seems overpowering for the green poinsettias to my eye, despite the fact they're solid images. The pint of red, gallon of green works better than pint of green, gallon of red. I have no idea why...it just seems that way to me. If you feel differently, please share in the comments. Curious minds want to know.

Plus who ever heard of lime-green poinsettias? That just ain't right. (Say the previous sentence out loud with a slow, drawling Southern accent. Isn't that fun?!? Just like egregious punctuation!!!) Actually, when I planned this card, I was thinking that white poinsettias often seem to have a tinge of green, but the lime is too, too green.

Baby Update: Many, many thanks to all who have sent good wishes and prayers for my sister and her baby. There simply aren't words to express the depth of my gratitude. Little Grady was having some trouble breathing late yesterday, but the doctors were doing something to help that. I just hate not being there to know details! Since my mom didn't call me late last night after her hospital visit, I'm assuming he's doing better. These tiny babies are so fragile and helpless in so many ways, but in other ways they are incredibly strong. Be strong, Grady!

18 comments:

  1. Keeping you all and baby Grady in my prayers!! Really hard thing to go through. hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first one. There's something about the red and yellow on the second one that bothers me. I'm praying for little Grady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan--my daughter was a c-section at 34 weeks and weighed 3# 8oz and was in NICU for 3 weeks. She came home at 4 weeks. Now the good part--that was 29 years ago and today she is a pediatrician studying to become an ER doc. She did have a tnedency to croup, but was overall healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree wiht your evaluation of the cards, the first card looks more balanced. I am wondering what the second card would look like if the red was on the bottom instead of on the top....it might anchor it better?? I have no idea!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your daughter's story, mamajulie! How wonderful that she received such good care as an infant and now gives good care to infants and children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like the first one better than the second. I love that picture of Grady and still keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers. I just know he will be fine - he looks like a fighter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still have Grady in my thoughts and prayers!

    I love the first card - the colours and design, everything feels right. In the second card I think the shade of green is too light. I would love to see that done again with the flowers being stamped in a forest/pine green. Just my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them both but I REALLY love the first one. And anything that makes gable green look fantastic is truly art. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll speak up for the second card! The red on top with a white border immediately makes me think of a Santa hat, an iconic Christmas image. I like it! I also like that there is more color on the circles--i.e., that there are solid poinsettias. I wonder what the top card would look like with solid red poinsettias cut out around the petals rather than punched in circles.

    I'm glad to see the picture of little Grady. Well, it's hard to see all the tubes and wires on the little guy, but I just have to say they are there to help him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pointsettas on the red card look yellow on my screen. Perhaps that is also because they are overpowered by Real Red??
    I like the green one more (and I don't like Gable Green)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat layout. I like the green base with red flowers better. The second card, if it not for the sentiment, I would not guess as a holiday card because the flowers in that greeny-yellow don't remind me of poinsettias.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the layout. I really like the top one better - I like the colors. Great job with the line of circles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, I am obssessed with circles on my cards. Circles are sexy, soft, inviting shapes.
    I do love lime green anything. Your pointsettas look "natural"
    in that colour.
    I am off to borrow your circle card idea. Thanks for your great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Susan,
    I'm glad to hear the positive news about baby Grady. I remember 13 years ago when my niece was born very early we prayed and waited and prayed some more, waiting to hear of the smallest bits of progress and then thanking God for them. I will be praying for continued progress and for your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, first, I hope Grady continues to get stronger and am sure he will be fine. He's got a lot of people pulling for him!

    Also, I like the green base card better, too. It's easier to look at and simply lovely.

    Thanks for sharing - all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I like the green! The contrast of red and white on the poinsettia circles gives it extra pop. I'm quite fond of red, too, but there's just something about that green.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another vote for the green, though Gable green would be my last choice to go with red. I know the color wheel says it's okay, but it fusses my mind.

    I need to know what you do to get your elements lined up so perfectly, Susan. It's amazing how the word "straight" takes on new meaning when a card is clean and simple. For sure "simple" does not mean "easy"!

    ReplyDelete
  18. No, Bahb, simple doesn't mean easy! I'll try to do a tutorial of tips for lining stuff up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!