Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Drawing the Line on Christmas

Yes, I'm starting to think--seriously--about Christmas cards, although I will shortly be kicking off my Thanksgiving Crusade to give my Canadian friends time to make cards for their Thanksgiving. But I send over a hundred individually-designed Christmas cards a year, and waiting until the last minute just won't do. I have about twenty in my stash now, but here's the latest one, made with a Wreath for All Seasons by Papertrey.



The vertical line element is not uncommon in graphic design, and you'll find several examples of it on my Pure Inspiration Pinterest board.  I drew it with a metal ruler and the fine end of the Memento cocoa marker. The wreath and word "Christmas" are in cocoa, and the berries and "Merry" are Hero Arts red royal, which is a simply delightful darker Christmas red.

Check out how the wreath makes a C-shape. Get it? C for Christmas?

I'm feeling very clever.*




Random berries are highlighted with red Smooch, although it may be hard to tell even in the close-up, but in real life, the random shimmer adds a nice hint of dimension to the design.

For the last few Christmases, I have purchased cards to send when my output didn't match the need. Many of the recipients don't even know I stamp or don't care. No one has complained so far, and I love that the pressure is off. Christmas shouldn't be about pressure, should it? Of course not!!!

Have you started on your Christmas/holiday cards yet? How many do you usually make? Do you ever send store-bought cards if you can't make enough? Or do you avoid the holiday stress and just send professionally-printed photo or store-bought cards?

*In all honesty, I didn't notice the C of the wreath until the card was finished. I'm not that clever.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey A Wreath for All Seasons
ink: Memento cocoa and Hero Arts red royal
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: ruler, Memento marker, Smooch, post-it for masking

16 comments:

  1. Smooch. I have a small collection of that stuff. Hmmm, maybe I should use it?

    I make Christmas cards all year long, but usually end up still having to design my own to make up the difference. I can't bring myself to buy a store-made card. I'd rather just not send cards. Oh, and I get to do Chanukkah AND Christmas. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this design; the partial wreath is such a cool design element. I have been Christmas card making already mainly because the PB release arrived and I got busy. It was weird though, stamping snowy trees while wearing shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. We've had so much heat and humidity, it's been hard to even think about fall, much less winter!

      Delete
  3. Love the design Susan - o so clever. I will be casing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I do like your clever inclusion of the C for Christmas, though. I try to make Christmas cards all year long, because I send out some 80 cards each year. I usually don't manage to create them all in time, but buying them from the store is not really an option where I live (little choice and too expensive), so I whip up a few more designs that I can create multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same last year, making about 10 each of three different designs. I really dislike mass production and finally just went to Barnes & Noble and bought a few boxes of cards. It was such a relief!

      Delete
  5. *In all honesty, I didn't notice the C of the wreath until the card was finished. I'm not that clever." Oh, yes you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far I've made two cards for Christmas and one for New Years. Usually I do them at the last minute and only send out about 20. I'm with you, though, don't care to mass produce. Don't buy any. If I run out, people get a New Years card in January.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's a great idea to use boxed cards for people who wouldn't even notice the difference. Why not? Simplify! Reminds me of how I sent all of the wedding invitations that turned out less than fantastic to my husband's single guy friends. They'd never notice, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. In all honesty, I think you are exactly that clever! Love the card; have the stamps and pulled them out last week. They're in my "to be used soon" stack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This card is great in so man ways. I love it. Last year (and probably this year too) I didn't sent Christmas cards, because I couldn't find enough time to make the cards. I sent handmade cards, or no cards. A lot of people make Christmas cards all year long, I can't. And I skipped stressing out for sending a lot of cards at the end of the year. So only if I have time and inspiration I do make them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isnt it funny all the card makers admitting that there isnt enough time to do Christmas cards and they either dont send or buy to top up. We are all so busy having fun making cards for every other occassion that Christmas cards have gone down the list of must does. I love this card you have done, very eyecatching. Would be a good one for mass producing!!!
    I prefer to give away bundles of cards as Christmas presents than make Christmas cards, being in Australia its so hot I find the inspiration I see not right for here. Always on the look out for summer Christmas ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love making Christmas cards (I tend to make a few of several different designs), but I learned a few years ago that store-bought cards are perfectly fine for some of the people on my card list.
    I just got some new Christmas stamps, and plan to start making cards in the next 2 or 3 weeks. I REALLY love the design you created!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOve this card, and will be CASE-ing it for sure, albeit with slightly different supplies! I usually make and send around 80 cards, but not all individually designs. i will do a few multiples of cards that are easy to recreate. I have bought top-up card at the store in the past if I came up short, but I'm up to 40 already, so I might actually make enough this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! You're way ahead of me in the count!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!