Sunday, September 21, 2014

Inspired by Bitsy Bullock

Thumbing through the new issue of Take Ten has been delightful...and inspirational. This card by Bitsy Bullock sent me into spasms of joy:

From Take Ten, Fall 2014
Bitsy's card uses designer paper, lace, and a lacy border punch for a nicely unified and very simple card. I, of course, rarely if ever use designer paper, so my version is card stock...lots of white card stock.




The border punch (Martha Stewart) is love perfect for a winter/Christmas card, but its delicacy meant that I had to back it with something. White didn't provide enough contrast (I tried), so I went with a surprising shade of lime green. The pop of unexpected lime really livens up this very simple card. I incorporated the green into the sentiment, but contrasted the larger word in bright red for more drama and pop!

The white twill adds a soft, natural texture. I tried twine first, but it looked weird with the narrow fronds...too busy or something. The white-on-white of the twill distracts less from the color and other details, while giving a nice sense of movement between the sentiment, knot, and pine boughs of the border.

Oh, this card makes me sooooo happy!!! And I've got Bitsy to thank for it!

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: Hero Arts lime, SU real red
paper: Papertrey white, MFP lime
accessories: white twill, Martha Stewart border punch


7 comments:

  1. Very nice card - the border punch and green paper are quite striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, this is beautiful. Love the green and red.. classy :)
    The memento red that I have is sooo non-red.. I must get a good 'proper' red esp for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see where you arrived at your card through Bitsy, but in all honesty I would never have made that connection. I think perhaps I am not intuitive enough. At any rate, I really prefer your card to hersand am happy that your artist eye was able to make the changes that you did.
    toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clean and classy card, indeed, Susan! I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!