Thursday, June 30, 2016

Grown-Up Crayons: Thoughts and Questions

Watercolor crayons are so much fun! And the look you can achieve on stamps by coloring and spritzing is simply amazing.

How to use watercolor crayons with stamps
Just apply the crayon directly to the stamp (no precision needed here!), spritz with enough water to loosen the pigments, let it sit for a few seconds so the pigments get good and wet and blend-y, and stamp on the paper.  I typically hold the stamp down for a few seconds extra so the paper can absorb most of the water.

You can also spritz a second time and get a lovely second, slightly lighter impression from one coloring.

Here's the set I have:




The two stamps on today's cards (Hero Arts, discontinued) are specially made to give a watercolor effect with regular ink, but I much prefer them with watercolor crayons.


Two shades of orange on the petals and brown for the center, and the blending effects are so lovely! What sunshiny results!




Two shades of pink, one each of yellow and green, and what happy results!




Thoughts and Questions
1. Spritzing can yield quite irregular results, whether you use watercolor crayons or markers or regular ink. It's tricky figuring out how much water to put on the stamp--not enough, and there's inadequate blending; too much, and there's an ugly, shapeless blob. That's why I typically use this technique on scraps rather than one-layer cards. Too many times, the one-layer card became scraps after a mess!

2. I have the Caran D'ache 40-color set, and some colors don't seem to react as smoothly with water as others. Also, some colors that appear quite dark show up very light, even with heavy spritzing and extra time to sit, which is weird. This is my experience with the set, and I would love to hear about your experiences with the same brand or different ones. Have you found other brands more consistent from color to color? What other techniques do you use with watercolor crayons?

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts, StampinUp (sentiment)
ink: Memento Luxe 
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: watercolor crayons, spritz bottle of water

17 comments:

  1. Love these cards, water coloring is becoming a favorite of mine and I appreciate the tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a set of watercolor crayons from Stampin' Up (yah, I'm that old :) and have experienced the same issues as you described. But I do love playing with them.Used the big SU Swallowtail butterfly and came up with some lovely prints. Will be interested to see what others have to say. Love your cards, especially the orange one.
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I love how you have done both these cards, such simple designs but so very eye catching. Love those layers, to save on lost card stock. So now I have to admit to you and only you (well and anyone else seeing this) I purchased some watercolour crayons and they sit on a shelf neglected. I tried something it looked so crappy I put them aside and promptly forgot them. Now you have reminded me, maybe I should give them another go and either use them or give them away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Aileen! I did the same thing you did. I took a technique class at a local store. I loved the watercolor look. I saved up my pennies and waited for a good coupon and bought the exact same crayons that Susan used here. My first time out; my results were less than spectacular. I haven't used them since. Susan's cards make me want to try again. I love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards! Thank you for using watercolor crayons -- I have Stampin' Up crayons and they have been neglected. Time to use them again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with the look of watercolor on cards (and on big paintings, too). I took a watercolor class, and had great supervised fun. But I find it daunting to "just do it" on my own. One way I can is on the small canvas of a card, using various media. I don't have wc crayons, but I have pencils, Gansai Tambi, Koi and Peerless watercolors. And now your gorgeous cards make me want to get some crayons, too! I'm being strong for today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love the watercolor look, and these cards are delicious! I have watercolor pencils but not crayons. Would they give a similar look/feel with stamps if the same technique is used? Thanks for any feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. watercolor pencils are harder than most crayons, so they would probably not transfer so well to the stamp as the crayons. But it probably varies from brand to brand, I would suggest experimenting, and see what happens! Maybe the pencils can be made more creamy by dipping them quickly in water before scribbling on the stamp surface?

      Delete
  9. It's great seeing you get loose Susan , lovely results too :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have watercolor crayons from SU. I don't use them a lot; and when I do I tend to use them to create backgrounds and not directly on the stamps. A quick scribble on my paper, a light spritz of water and then I use a shorter bristled stiff brush to blend out my scribbles. Softer brushes don't let me "move" the color as easily and I end up being able to still see the original scribbles I made!

    I have done the directly on the stamp technique but usually only at a class.
    But these cards made me realize I have the perfect stamps in my hoard to use with this technique! I will have to pull them out and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a small set of Staedtler watercolor crayons that didn't seem to move much when I first bought them many years ago, though it may have had more to do with the paper I was using or the amount of water as my technique back then was probably rough. I have recently inherited a friend's set of Lyra Aquacolor crayons and they work wonderfully. I like to use either Tsukineko Shimmer Spritz or homemade Perfect Pearls mist as the spritz of water for a shimmery effect. The brand you're using is pretty highly reviewed. I'm thinking the intensity of color is a matter of its transparency. It is watercolor, after all. Transparency is usually a sign of good watercolor unless you're looking for granulation from the minerals they're made from. I would encourage you to swatch them out on both white and black paper to see if some colors are more like "interference" colors that show better on dark colors. Glad to see you did this on your regular paper. You shouldn't need watercolor paper for this little water. I too struggle with the amount of water and the distance from which I spray it from... its a fine line to walk apparently to get the perfect results. Lots of colorful trash when I practice, that's for sure! ;-) Love these cards!!! So, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just like the thought of grown up crayons. I don't have any WC crayons but certainly would give them a whirl if given the opportunity. I really like what you've done with them here.

    I saw that famous crayon company, Crayola, has some "distress crayons" on the market. I guess they don't want to be left behind when it comes to adult crayons!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the Neocolour II, too. Don't use them so much, because I prefer my Distress inks for watercolour effects.

    A great way (at least for me) to get control of the amount of water: I spritz in the air and "catch" the mist with my stamp or I spritz about one feet over the stamp. So I don't get this big water drops.

    Or, instead of my Mini Mister I use a old facing spray bottle (mine was was Clinique but other brands do have them too). Cleaned the empty bottle with hot water and filed it with some destilled water. The spritzing is much finer than of my Mini Mister.

    btw, your cards are great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so pretty. I love the mat layers also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beauty! I totally agree about stamping on scraps. This type of technique is too unpredictable to try it right on a card front. I also find with most watercoloring, you really need to allow time for it to dry before deciding if it's a "keeper" or not. The look can improve substantially once dried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Tanis! I do let them dry before deciding to keep or not.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!