Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Pretending to Be an Artist

I'm a little late to the game with the Inspiration Challenge at Splitcoast this week, but Audrie found a fun Abstract Art board on Pinterest...so I had to play along.

Flow is a magical thing that happens sometimes, when the creative juices are pumping, the stars are aligned, and you're holding your mouth just right. You make stuff. Good stuff. And it makes you happy.

Flow. I'm percolating thoughts on it...where it comes from, how to develop it, etc. But today, I felt it.

And this happened.



My inspiration was this pin:

Source

The proportions on my piece are taller and narrower, and the whole effect is softer, too, because I used sponges (for the most part) to apply color. To distinguish more above and below the orange strip (as on the inspiration piece), I did use a brush, touched to the ink pad, to apply the darker brown and henna horizontally.



Once I'd finished the background, I realized that orange strip made a perfect place for a sentiment. So I added "Warm Wishes"...the warm colors made that sentiment appropriate.

This was FUN and DIFFERENT! Thanks to Audrie for the great inspiration!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Sign Language
ink: Memento potter's clay, rich cocoa; Hero Arts butter bar, orange soda, soft pool, soft wheat; Ancient Page henna
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: sponges, post-it, fan brush 


26 comments:

  1. Eeeeaaakkkk! LOVE this!!! While it looks as if it should be easy to create this look, I know for a fact that it is something felt (after going through ancient rituals first!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is really wonderful, I love this art :D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no pretending - you ARE an artist! This is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very lovely this is. You are indeed an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this interpretation of yours. So very different than what you usually do, so shows us how you are open to trying other things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for noticing, Karen! It's been fun to play around and stretch my creative wings.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love this! Beautiful card with your beautiful art inspired by that pin. I've made a few one-of-a-kind abstract art cards, and they are some of my favorites, partly because of the serendipity and flow that seems so embedded in them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When something lovely like this happens, we each need to embrace our inner artist!! This is simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you pulled this one off beautifully. nice job...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this card. When I first looked at it, I thought it was the inspiration piece! And that is just what it is…inspiration to all your readers! I wonder if it would be even 'warmer' on a vanilla card base?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might. I was going for the art gallery look of painting hung on stark white walls (sort of like the inspiration piece). But the great thing about inspiration is that you can change things up as the spirit moves you!

      Delete
  11. Wow!!! This is awesome! Please do more paintings--you're not pretending, you are an artist for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I'm pretty sure you're not pretending! This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Liking this one. Have a man card swap coming up and this would work. Now making them in mass production may lead to a challenge. Likely no two alike.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow stunning - really stunning

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are such fun. I get such a good chuckle with your musings/writings/thoughts, and of course, your ART, since it is truly art. We all (your admirers) appreciate the tutorials. You are most generous in your sharing. As a retired high school English teacher, so used to getting ideas to teach out of my countless, useless manuals, I enjoy your tutorials and hints. Thank you.
    Tish

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to echo Tish's thoughts. You ARE not only inspiring but oh so full of ironic funny! And generous to all of us. This is such a contemplative, lovely card and so glad it was satisfying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH my Susan, this is spectacular! I continue to visit your blog regularly and, as always, enjoy your words and work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, love this piece! Now following .... such inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!