Monday, January 24, 2011

Let's Mask!

For the next few days, we're MASKING!!! Specifically, we're masking backgrounds. I needed an excuse to use some big background stamps, and using these masks makes big backgrounds your CAS-style friends.

Consider today's card. The slightly weathered look of the balloon (Papertrey's Up, Up and Away) is enhanced by the fact that the edges of the masked cloud stamp (Hero Arts) are imperfect. I absolutely love how that turned out!


To make this card, I used the mask on the left (well, the one on bottom with the smaller opening).  


I've made all these masks with outer dimensions of 4.25" x 5.5"--the standard card size. This allows me to line them up perfectly on the card. It's worth taking the time to prepare these masks and store them for repeated use.

These masks are all made of very thin paper, but even so, there's often a bit of unevenness right around the edges when you stamp a big, solid background over them. The cloud stamp is a nice, crisp design, and uneven edges would ordinarily look like a mistake. But by pairing it with the distressed look of that particular balloon, a negative is instantly transformed into a positive. Squeee!

To make the card, I used temporary adhesive to attach the mask, and stamped the clouds over it. I placed my card and stamp on the floor (on a small piece of smooth plywood just for this, actually, since my floor has carpet) and stand on the stamp. I forget where I heard that tip, but seriously, it means a LOT less wasted paper from poor impressions.

The balloon basket was stamped directly onto the card, and the balloon itself was stamped on a scrap, cut out, and popped up.

Hope you like it!

Supplies 
stamps: Papertrey, Hero Arts
paper:  Papertrey
ink: SU bashful blue, real red; Memento black
accessories: dimensionals, mask

24 comments:

  1. Awesome! Cool tip on the masks and standing on the stamp. Lol. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! This is one of my favorite cards by YOU! LOVE IT!! The red balloon popped out ROCKS! And against that awesome cloud stamps...EVEN BETTER! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great tip! Love the card and I might just make some masks to have handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what I need, more excuses to mask! I love the red balloon especially as it pops up from your wonderful sky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this card! One of my favourite colour combos too!

    I am taking note of the standing on stamp trick.

    I often have trouble with that particular cloud stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hope someone in your family has the good sense to get a photo of you standing on your stamps -- now there's something to scrapbook!

    The card is great, though -- it's definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I really appreciate the tutorial. Masking scares me and you are pushing me to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a perfect card! I'll have to try the standing-on-stamp trick... lately the most luck I've been having is going upside-down -- stamp face up, paper on top, hardcover to press down on. Your way sounds easier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so pretty. i have that cloud stamp and have never used it. this is inspiring me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the simplicity of the card :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful, love how you did this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A few years ago, I believe one of the earliest Splitcoaststamper Dirty Dozen girls, Lana Lepinski, coined the term "Butt Stamping". She actually sat on her background stamps to ensure a good image - of the stamp, that is. I'll have to try your method. I think Beate Johns turns the stamp upside down with the paper on top and runs a brayer over it. I have just used my hand to do this method but sometimes it takes a few tries. Love your card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A smashing card and the mask suggestions are fab

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forgot to mention, another method for a large detailed stamp is to ink it up, lay it on the table and place your paper on top and brayer but that's too imprecise for your particular project.

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the 'how to' tips. Lovely card and nice to see the white card base back again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute card! Like the idea of making these masks for repeated use. I would mask more often with this tip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the mask idea! I am making me some. Thanks. I also use the stand-on-stamp technique. Best way to get a great impression from larger stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Susan, for the great how-to tips!!! Making the mask card-size is a fantastic way to get the placement perfect every single time. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea about making a variety of masks that are card-size and having them ready to use. I often have trouble getting a good impression with a large background stamp but I would never have thought of standing on it! Thank you for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh! Now I'm squealing. I love it. I have both of those stamps (and the balloon dies) and I'm going to try this tonight. I've had trouble getting even coverage with that cloud background stamp, so thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just adorable!! I save all my masks, too, it's a good tip. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely background! Very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like it a lot, especially the rustic edges to the sky/clouds! I have also stood on stamps to get them to stamp! Maybe a new form of exercise??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. STAND on your stamp?! This is why I read your blog - I can honestly say I've neither heard nor imagined such a thing! Sounds like fun to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!