Saturday, January 29, 2011

Thoughts about Baby Cards

I have some issues with baby-themed stuff. The last time I gave a baby shower (years ago before I realized how creative I could be), I had the hardest time finding store-bought decorations. Everything was so sappily sweet, and pastel without a touch of black to anchor it, and that green! Ohmygosh that horrid, icky, sickly green!!!! There was nothing in party stores that didn't have that ugly green!!!

Sorry. I got a little carried away there.

Most baby stamp sets leave me feeling bleh. Most are too cutesy for me, or outlines that require coloring of some kind, or cartoonish (and, therefore, not for me).  My favorite in the SU catalog in the past 8 years was one for $32 (can't remember its name) and I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a set when most of my friends are finished having babies.

So when a friend mentioned in her Christmas letter that she's having fifth--happy surprise!--child, I knew I had to make a baby card. I'll send the baby gift with the grid card on this post because, knowing my friend as I do, I think she'll absolutely adore the tidy grid (she's an accountant) and happy colors.

But I actually made a bunch more baby cards, and these were my favorites.



These stamps are from Papertrey's Everyday Classics set, which is an anniversary set not available for sale from Papertrey. But it's easy enough to cobble together this look from other stamps. A simple sentiment and a simple star popped up in a fun, bright color. That's it.

And don't worry. I'm not going to start photographing my cards on dark gray foam core. This was just an experiment. I need something bigger than two sheets of cardstock to photograph more than one card at a time and was trying out different things from my stash.  This looked better than the white matte board base, but not by much. Must keep thinking on this. Any suggestions?

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Everyday Classics
ink: Memento
paper: PTI cardstock
accessories: dimensionals, scissors

14 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of your cards and they totally work. I completely agree with you on those baby stamps. Why do they always have to be so cartoonish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my kind of baby cards! I feel the same way you do about the baby themed stamps I see. I love this idea though. As far as photographing more than one card, how about a large sheet of butcher paper or a sheet of plain newsprint paper. They are both a kraft color so your white card base would stand out well. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to laugh - I was focused on your cute cards NOT the bg until YOU said something :) I still LOVE your perfect placement on your cards~ I'm still working on that~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely adore these cards. It's just the sort of style I want to achieve (but not there yet!). Simple, clean and elegant. I do like some of the cute images, but this is so much cleaner looking! Do you know what I mean?

    As for photographing your cards - I scan mine for ease as I don't have a decent area to take a picture. Something I'm still working on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are perfect baby cards - I don't do icky cutesy baby cards either!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are really cute baby cards!

    I made an infinity board to photograph my cards and here is the link for the directions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baby green is the worst! :P These cards are perfect... and since the cards are really for the parents, not the baby, so why do they need to be babyish/cartoonish?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I'm the odd woman out!! I love baby pastel green and cutsie baby stamp sets. I think they are fun to color. I do love your cards, above, though and I don't see anything wrong with the black. Makes it pop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your posts make me feel happy! Your blog is the first thing I read in the morning. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the baby star cards...I found a 'onsie' stamp--for a dollar-- which is cute--could use it in place of the star...but the star is a great option...as would be a heart?...pink for a girl, and a number on it like #1 if it is the first born?...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea for a unisex baby card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great baby cards, so clean and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute cards! Each is unique because of the color of the stars! :)

    How about using a tablecloth as a backdrop for photographing your cards? I sometimes use one and that way I don't have to worry about any lines showing like they do in the perpendicular area where the two pieces of cardstock touch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the background; not too stark and makes the cards the focus of your photo, which is what you want anyway. Not only have I paid attention to the design of your cards, I have been paying attention to the way you photograph them

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!