Tuesday, March 28, 2017

IC590 With Heart

The first pin that caught my interest on the IC590 Inspiration Board was this one. The slits cut in the paper allow for tucking of the greenery stem and also create a ground for the two moose.

I've always wanted to make the plural of moose into meese. English is such a loony language.

Anyway, the idea of slits appealed to my sense of tucking. After exploring my old-fashioned and out-of-date punches for images that might tuck appealingly, I settled on three sizes of heart punches.

For those of us without die cut machines, punches are quite useful, even if obsolete in most of the crafting world.

Of course, my card has a lot of white, which provides for the awesome pops of three shades of red in the hearts.


At first, the largest heart was dark and the smallest light, but that made the left side of the card extremely top-heavy. Also, the sentiment (which I stamped first so I'd know where to cut the slits) has deeply as the bottom word; it made sense to have the deepest shade of red be literally the deepest heart. The light-to-dark downward gradient definitely improved the balance and unity of the card.

The slits are 1/2" apart and were cut with a quilting ruler and craft knife. I moved the hearts around until their arrangement felt balanced and pleasing, taped the bottoms of the hearts down on the back with ordinary scotch tape, and then added dimensionals under the tops of the hearts so they stand out a bit. You can see the shadows that result a bit better in the closeup.




You might say it was a card made with heart.

Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts 
ink: Archival black
paper: Papertrey white, StampinUp cherry cobbler, real red, and maybe rose something? 
accessories: heart punches, craft knife, quilting ruler, dimensionals, glue, tape

5 comments:

  1. Awesome card. So simple and colorful. Thanks for sharing how you did the card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea! This is something I could do for my monthly stamping class, where I am always trying to keep things simple for my new stampers. And since I always have all the elements of the cards cut and ready to assemble, this would be relatively easy to do. Although I have a die cutting machine, I still have lots of punches. They are easier to transport to class and, I must admit, a lot quicker to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also still have a lot of punches even though I have die cutter. I've never even considered getting rid of my existing punches when I declutter. Beautiful card, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that the alignment of the hearts matches the alignment of the words in the sentiment with madly going to the left but the others going right. Ponder the significance of that... why did they make "madly" out of alignment in the stamp? Why not angle the 3 words on a slope? Perhaps to signify just how madly they love... so madly they can't align properly? Curious minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very clever way to add the hearts...sweet card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!