Thursday, July 6, 2017

Dotty Tea Teaches a Lesson

This pin, with its strong graphic elements, made me want to experiment with open spaces and dots, but my version needed to fill the open space because my tea pot felt like a big hole in the design rather than a fun graphic element. 



So what happened? Well, my hypothesis goes like this: my dots aren't bold enough, and neither is the outline of the tea pot. My design feels lighter, more detailed, than the inspiration pin. The stamps dictate that, and they are what I have to work with. Also, my addition of color--a light blue-- changes the feel of everything.



It doesn't matter, though, because the end result works anyway. 

So what's the lesson? Don't let an inspiration piece limit you. Pick a few elements of the inspiration that you want to work with, and see where they take you. As you start changing things, your original choices from the inspiration piece might need to change, too. Don't be afraid to veer off course. You just might end up someplace pretty anyway!

Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey, Clearly Besotted, Tim Holtz
ink: Hero Arts cornflower, Archival black
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: craft foam, glue, circle punch, dimensionals, post-it for mask (which was a pain to cut out given the pot handle!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!