Monday, April 12, 2010

Colors I Will Miss, Part 1

While it's perfectly clear even to the casual reader of Simplicity that I will not miss Orchid Opulence, I haven't really moaned about the colors I most certainly WILL miss when StampinUp's new color program starts in July. I haven't yet decided if I'll stock up on some of these discontinued colors or not, but hope that writing about them here will bring some clarity.

Among the top colors I will miss are gable green and green galore. I know, I know. Plenty of people detest these two shades of green. But using the bold brights as I do (which is sparingly with lots of white), they're not nearly as offensive as you might think.

See what I mean?



Combining gable green and green galore with cool caribbean and tempting turquoise results in an oceanic/tropical color scheme that you'll be seeing repeated here for the next few days. For some reason, this palette called to me all last weekend. It's so fresh and fun and clean.

These flowers consist of four 3/4" squares of punched cardstock with two opposing corners rounded with scallop scissors. Yes, scallop scissors. You did not give those things away, did you? For shame if you did. They're right useful.

To get everything placed so perfectly, I lined the card up on my gridded cutting mat so the center of the card was obvious. Then, I placed the squares (unglued) where I wanted them. Once everything was where it belonged, I removed each square, one at a time, put a dab of glue on the back, and using tweezers, placed it where it belonged. It sounds much more tedious than it is.

Notice how the light and dark colors are arranged consistently in each flower? That was on purpose. All these different pieces parts could make the card busy, but by having the colors so regularly patterned, the eye isn't so confused.

At least, my eye isn't confused. I sure hope your eye is as happy as mine.

Happy Monday, everyone!

Supplies
stamps: PTI Birthday Basics
ink: Palette noir
paper: PTI white; SU gable green, green galore, cool caribbean, tempting turqoise
accessories: bling, scallop scissors, glue

36 comments:

  1. Your card is stunning! I love the mix of blues and greens. The 2 green colors you mentioned are also 2 of my favorites.......they both look striking with a hint of black on white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it, love it......great card...fresh colours...so springy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the awesomist card ever. (spell check underlined that word but I don't care...lol) It's my favorite of yours to date. I actually gasped out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! brilliant card. Love your interpretation. So freah! I have to case this card of yours, with your permission of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gayatri,

    Feel free to CASE away! All I ask is that you not sell them or publish them as your own or enter them into a contest.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gee, Susan, I just love all these colors together! Whoever opens the envelope and pulls this card out is sure to gasp. I'd never have put all these colors together. But now I can confess, I LOVE bold brights, both the ink and the CS. They were the first batch of colors I bought years and years ago from SU, and I've been surprised ever since then, by people who say they don't use them much. They're just my favorites. I didn't really understand why they were so workable to me until your explanation --- the splash of color they give, on a mostly white card, is just so pleasing. Thanks so much for putting it all together on this card --- it will be a case for me for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning card, and thanks for the very informative post. I learn a lot every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did it. You made me like a card that used Green Galore paper. :) You're a miracle worker, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this card. The colors just pop -- beautifully.

    I look forward to your blog every morning. Thanks for the many inspirations.

    **June**

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my eyes are not confused in the least! Beautiful patterns and card. My eyes were a little shocked that you used the OO words, however. *Ahem* We're nearly neck 'n neck on my poll! :0) Oh, I I've always liked the freshness of those two greens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love how this card turned out, it really POPS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! It is a mini version of the cards you designed back around the holidays with four larger squares. Classic simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a punch this card packs!! I love the design and think of the possibilities of other combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great design and these colours are so fresh and summery!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great card, I don't even own most of the Bold Brights collection, so I won't be missing out on a lot. But you have used these colors with stunning results.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan, this is truly stunning!! LOVE the simplicity and beauty! Also Love, LOVE, Love the squares with just two of the corners rounded. EXCELLENT!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a quick note to tell you how much I enjoy your blog (and your cards). It is one of the first ones I look at every day. I, also, am going to miss gable green and green galore as well as some of the other colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This card is spectacular, in addition to being fresh and fun and clean, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been doing the 4 flowers in a square in the middle of the card, like you taught us a few months ago, but I chuckle every time about how simple it looks and how difficult the execution EVERY time. Just getting the corners trimmed with the scalloped scissors, all corners the same, is a challenge. But I will never quit trying because this, and the one with four flowers, makes such a perfect gender-neutral, sentiment-neutral card. AND there is no end of combinations of papers, colors, bling and ink to be used, except I do believe todays' hit the perfection jackpot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How come when you do a CAS card it looks fabulous, and when I try to it just looks hideous? Lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very beautiful. You're right, just a little bit of color and those aren't so bad - in fact they look great! Wonderful card as always.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great card, the colours really sing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like those two colors of green and although I may not use them freuqently, there are times when only these citrusy shades will do. I like how you used them as an accent with the less vibrant blues. Great idea about the scallop scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like those greens too! I use them sparingly, so I should have some to last for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi from England. I have just discovered your blog, and I love your ideas. they are truly inspirationa. As someone who likes to make 'simple' cards, I will certainly be motivated to use my stamps in diferent ways. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMGoodness, Susan! This is so cool! Into my inspiration folder it goes too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Susan this really appeals to the 'not sure what' side of me. Something to do with the geometric design and the clean cut look.
    I loved your single 'flower' version but this is even better. The colours remind me of the Brilliance Peacock ink pad I have and hardly use :(
    Just stunning.
    TFS

    ReplyDelete
  28. This card makes me so happy! What a delightful treat for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Susan. Definitely I will not do any of it you had mentioned. will link to your blog when I post it on my blog. Hope that ok!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This card is just stunning! I'm going to have to purchase the gable green. I actually like that color (and orchid, too). :) I just discovered your blog and really like your designs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!