Thursday, April 29, 2010

Inspired by Jessica Witty's Sketch

As far as I am concerned, Papercrafts Go-To Sketches was worth the price for this sketch alone, not to mention all the other ones I've used and plan to use. This one, however, is my favorite.

My first stab at it is a pretty literal interpretation of the first sample in the magazine, at least colorwise. I stamped my paper using Hero Arts Designer Windows set and then punched, rather than using designer paper, however. The interplay of patterns and arrangement of colors is very close to the original.


The second version I made uses another Hero Arts set...a quarto set of snowflakes. Oh, my! This is such a versatile sketch!


Then, I made another Christmas card using some of the stamps from my first version above, a musical background stamp, and a star ornament stamp (the saffron circles).


What a fun, fun sketch! I'm not done with it yet by a long shot!

IN OTHER NEWS...

Don't forget, you can link to your OLW2 Challenge cards using the InLinkz box in the sidebar of the blog. For details of OLW2 if you missed them, click HERE. And if you get a chance, check out what other people have done for the challenge and leave a little love!

I'm selling stamps HERE.

And for those who have prayed for Lincoln Hammett and his family, there is a new CaringBridge update HERE.

21 comments:

  1. no wonder this sketch is one of your favs...your cards are wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh laa laa! These are fantastic and so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny - I just made a card last night for the OLW challenge and I used that very sketch!

    It is a great sketch and you did a wonderful job with it - I especially like the snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sketch and cards - the third one is my fav. Love to read your thoughts about texture and color and how it all works together. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend and I are going into the city next Tuesday, and I hope to find this invaluable resource!!! Your cards are wonderful - I especially love the third one. Am thinking about my OLW2 challenge card...maybe I'll be working on it later - lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great layout. I love cards that use punches --- each item comes out perfect, without me having to do anything! You mix-and-matched very interesting papers & stamps, and the total effect is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was one of the sketches I marked, too. It is simple, fun and gives great results, just as your cards show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smokes, a gorgeous and simple xmas card! Maybe I'll actually be able to send out cards that I made myself this December. :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all great, but I particularly love the Christmas card. That saffron provides such a nice jolt to the traditional colors...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does it, I am going to Michaels right now and buy that magazine. I need to have an encyclopedia of fabulous sketches to refer to when I am in a rut {even when I am not!}

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this layout! What a great way to use scraps of patterned paper. You will definitely be seeing a case of your cards on my blog soon. I may even have to check out that magazine - even though you know that I have given up buying them for a long time. But if it has great CAS sketches like this it might be worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this layout...and your interpretations! Time to dust off my circle punch. Susan G.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are just beautiful!! What a simple and eye-catching idea which would be so easy for cards in bulk. I guess Jessica's blog is another I have to add to my ever growing inspiration list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm giggling to myself because this sketch AND Teri's sketch are both on my to-do list! Great minds, right?

    Love what you did with it here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of your cards are simply wonderful! I hope everyone who visits your blog gets as inspired as I do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was also the first sketch I used from the issue. It's so simple but really packs a good graphic punch. I know it's going to become part of my repertoire. I never thought to use stamped images like you did. Honestly, I thought your first card used patterned paper until I read your description. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fabulous trio of cards! You're right, this is a versatile sketch, especially in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my Susan, these cards are FAB! I especially love the Christmas cards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are wonderful, love the snowflakes (no surprise there ;))
    Will definitely be using this sketch.
    TFS for sharing the info not sure we can get that mag this side of the pond!?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these simple yet so gorgeous and sophisticated cards! Congrats on being featured in hero Arts Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found this post and wanted to let you know how much I love your cards! Totally digging the color combo in the first card. I'm so glad you like the sketch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!