Wednesday, April 28, 2010

OLW2: Flock or Glitter

See bottom of post for complete rules for the challenges.

This week's One-Layer Wednesday Challenge (OLW2) is to make a one-layer card with either flock or glitter.

[Please note if you don't have flock or glitter, some other textural substitute may be used...sand, salt, sugar, a texture embossing plate, Flower Soft, a rubbing, a faux treatment, etc.]

Both of my cards showcase Doodlebug flock, which I bought in a 12-pack of adorable tiny glass containers at Hobby Lobby for 40% off. I stamped with the Essential Glue Pad, poured a generous amount of flock over the image, pressed firmly with my fingers, then shook off the excess onto a scrap sheet of copy paper. (That glue pad works pretty well with flock but not so well with glitter, in my experience.) Flock is a great way to take a simple, flat design and kick it up a bit.

First up, an orange flower using PTI's Dot Spot and Mixed Messages. This much fuzziness on one card is so pretty and tactile!



The second card uses all three of my favorite stamp companies on one card. The tree is SU's Trendy Trees, the sentiment is from PTI's Sign Language, and the swish is from Hero Arts Friendship Messages clear set.



So if you have some flock, break it out and have some fun!

Simplicity Tip: Getting flock or glitter to stick is sometimes a challenge. Some of my favorite products are red tape (great for making lines of glitter or flock on a card), large sheets of adhesive (great for punched shapes), the essential glue pad (for flock only...it won't hold glitter well), and the Quickie Glue Pen (best glue pen I ever used and will hold glitter okay, not perfectly). For glitter, however, my hands-down favorite is Stickles because there is no mess.



Here are the official requirements for the One-Layer Wednesday Challenge at Simplicity:

1. A one-layer card is defined as a single piece of cardstock folded in half. No other layers of cardstock are allowed.

2. Ink is always welcome.

3. There will be one other requirement to each challenge. It may be a color challenge, a product challenge, a technique challenge, an inspiration challenge, an occasion challenge, whatever.

4. If you do not have the exact product or color to meet the challenge, you may substitute whatever you have that is closest or fake it with a faux treatment. No one will be discriminated against for lack of supplies. Work with what you have and know you are welcome!

5. Each challenge will be open for one week. Upload your cards through InLinkz. See the link in the sidebar.

That's it!


25 comments:

  1. Susan, Love your cards especially the 2nd one with the Trendy Tree. I love it when you use the Hero Arts shapes set. I have the set and never have my own ideas for it. Thanks.

    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOhhhh I love them....Love that orange color!!

    Wonderful!
    ~KristinaH

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOoooh, how fun!! I have a 2 colors of flock that a friend sent me a few years ago! I guess I'd better break it out and get to work!! I'm so excited you are posting challenges ... now just to find the time to play!!

    Oh, and I love your cards. The little pink tree 'scene' is adorable -- I always wish I had that HA set whenever you use it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I say I'm not feeling well, would you send me your second card? Seriously, the layout and balance are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful samples. I have some really glitzy glitter I've wanted to use for SO long and hopefully I'll take you up on your challenge and use it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a little tree similar to that one from the $1 bin at Michael's. I've not known what in the world to use it for - bought it 'just in case'. Now I know!!! Your cards are wonderful, and I LOVE yesterday's library card creation - U rock! Okay, off to see if I am in any way capable of making a one layer card. My heart is palpitating, my palms are sweating...well, maybe not, but I am scared!!! lol...

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cards are just so fabulous! I absolutely love them both!! And your blog is just amazing! I will be putting you into my Google reader and can't wait to play along in the challege. Thanks for all the inspriation!! Hugs, Carly

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flocked cards are so fun! Love the vivid colours and I really like how you combined those three stamps to create a perfect little scene. I have that HA swish stamp and never know how to use it but you have inspired me to go play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these cards! The colors, the simple design, the FLOCK!! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of today's cards made me grin -- and now I want to run and dig up my flock! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the challenge Susan. Loved having a go and using that old flock that's been sitting around for a while..

    ReplyDelete
  12. forgot to say that I love the orange dot card - very funky and i think I am reliving my 1970's childhood with it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely cards...sorry, I know I always say that!! but they are.
    OHHH fun....a challenge every week..hope I can make some time to play as I am so darn busy right now. I must have some glitter somewhere in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first card is fun. The second card is perfection. The complementary colors of flocking make each pop. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your orange card looks fabulous. As I have said before, you will be the reason I reach for Orange, it has never been a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the thought and effort that you have put into designing this weekly challenge, Susan. When you raised the idea, I realized that I had never made a one-layer card, which amazed me! So I started to play around with some ideas, but they're harder than they should be... for me, at least. :P I think I will learn a lot by "watching" your process each week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made one layer cards when I first started, but none of them were as beautiful as the ones you've been posting.

    Thank you for all the wonderful ideas.

    Do you put a plain sentiment inside without paper or embellis?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I made a sample but it really is not good at all. Hopefully next week I'll do better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carol C,

    Unless it is a birthday card, Christmas card, or sympathy card, I don't put sentiments inside because I prefer to write notes. I occasionally decorate the inside with a stamped image, but mostly, I forget, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Susan, you have great instincts. I especially ADORE your first card. It's so vibrant and, well, orange! Love that. I can only imagine how much prettier it is in person with the flocking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun idea and great color. I wish I had seen your post before I went shopping on Tuesday. The local AC Moore started carrying flock in a rainbow of colors, and although I think it's a neat idea, I couldn't imagine a project I would use it on so I didn't get any. And then I see your post and know exactly how I would use it! I don't own glitter (so NOT me) so I will have to wait to play this challenge until my next shopping trip when I can get some flock.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are all fabulous and wonderful one layer cards! I love flock and I hope I can make some time to play! Saw this on SCS...so glad I popped over!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Be still my beating heart - this is the challenge for me! I can't wait to play. I've missed visiting and shall be a stranger no more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!