Monday, April 11, 2011

Before and After: Color Balance

Before

When I made this card, one mistake caused some odd design elements. When I stamped the Text Style background, I left a bit too much space between images. So that's where I put the twine, to cover the gap. Then, I decided that I'd use a red starfish for a pop of color, highlight it with some rhinestones, and stamp the sentiment in cool caribbean.

Sadly, the starfish is just a little too visually insignificant and just floating there on the twine oddly. (You try attaching a skinny-armed starfish over twine!) Plus, the sentiment really needed to be red.


After

By replacing the starfish with a couple of sea horses, anchored from below with the twine in a more realistic manner, the right side of the card has more visual weight and makes more sense. The sentiment also doesn't disappear now that it's red.


If I made a third version of the card, I'd make the popped water panel a smidge taller, to give more room for the sea horses. The twine is just a little too low on the panel.

And yes, I understand text-covered water is weird, but I don't care. I love text, and I love the ocean. If you want to do something similar but not so English-major geeky, you could try polka dots or flourishes or something nautical. But I'm sticking with text.

Supplies
stamps: Text Style (PTI), Life is a Beach (PTI)
ink: cool caribbean, real red (SU)
paper: Mark's Finest Paper
accessories: Martha Stewart sand dollar/starfish punch, sea horse punch, Fiskar's ocean waves border punch, dimensionals, glue dot, twine (PTI) 

23 comments:

  1. Hi Susan - you do make me smile! I can just imagine you talking yourself through making the two versions of this card, reasoning it out like I do! I love the seahorse card but I'm really sad - if you hadn't said anything about the first, I'd just have thought what a pretty card!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, thanks for always walking us through your creative process...love seeing your minor changes and the significant difference such subtle changes can make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both so CUTE!! Ok now I want those punches too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the test on the water; I think it's perfection.

    And I'm glad to see someone else show the blogosphere two versions of the same card. I like the second one more, and I agree on all your points. Not that you asked me, or anything...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, the reason we make cards is so we can make what we want...not what other people think we want or should want.'Texted' water is way cool.If you read while soaking in the tub like I do...you've experienced Texted water a time or two ;-)
    Love the cards!!
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for again showing us how you think through your card making process. I'm fascinated by the way your cards always get better even though I usually fail to see how improvement is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe it's just me, but I really like the first card. I like the starfish; I like the placement of the twine; I like the texted water. I agree that the sentiment in red is more balanced ane visually pleasing.
    I had wished you did video tutorial, but today's post is as good as a video. I feel like I could really follow your thinking process. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cards, I love the text water it gives it a hint of blue without being overpowering. Thanks for talking us through your thought process too :)
    Jenny X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info. and showing it with Before n After photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both cards...but do agree the sentiment is better in red.
    I love text...even on water!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both cards are great . . . although I'm in agreement with you about linking the sentiment colour to the red element.

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think these are some of my favourite posts of yours. I'm always so amazed a what a difference such little changes can make. And we love your English-major geekiness! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad most of the posts before me said exactly what I was thinking.
    My first thought was the text made a great ocean - love it. I too loved the 1st card, but agree the sentiment in red made both the phrase & the seahorses pop.
    Thanks for your blog I look forward to it each day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the words . . . also love the fact that you show the stages in your creativity. That I don't have to get it right the first time round.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan, I love both your cards. Love the way you "saved" your first card after what you feel was an error. Anyway, I love both but I do agree that the sentiment in red stands out much more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me encanta tu manera de analizar tu trabajo. Quedó hermosa tu tarjeta Susan, felicitaciones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great comparisons. Love all of your helpful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great post! I learn so much from your posts like this. I see how the red sentiment works better. And the note about the water needing to be taller was instructive too.

    I love the seahorses and the rhinestone bubbles above them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how you discuss the ways to make a card more striking. Thanks for the mini tutorial :<)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for making this so clear. I wonder how many times I've made this mistake in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  21. People do text flowers, text butterflies... texted water is not that big a stretch! I like both these cards -- and I would like one with a red starfish and red sentiment, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a great example to explain an often difficult to put your finger on what's wrong issue....

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love both cards, but the red sentiment is the best

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!