Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Great Cover-Up

Often my experimenting goes awry. Sometimes, the results are not salvageable. Mostly, however, I can save the card if I think about it hard enough.

Today's card was salvaged in a great cover-up. Go, me!!!

I tried using washi tape as the ground for these trees from SU's Trendy Trees set. It just didn't look right, so I pulled it up. I'd always pulled up washi tape without a problem, but this time, it pulled the top layer of the paper with it. Darn it all.


So I cut a piece of old olive cardstock and drew a pencil line on it. Then, I cut along the line using mini-scallop scissors, being careful to line up the scallops with each cut. (Remember when using deco scissors to NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances close the scissors completely before you cut all the way across. It messes up the cut!)


I glued the old olive strip onto the card, effectively covering up the disaster. No one will ever know.

Well, no one would know if I hadn't just told the entire Internet.



I decided the green was too heavy, so I layered white twill on it to lighten it up. Rounded corners on the bottom further lighten the green and echo the rounded foliage of the trees and the scallop edge.


And THAT is how you cover up a mistake, save some pretty two-step stamping, and make someone's birthday cheerier.

Someone once said that there are no mistakes in stamping, only opportunities for embellishment. More often than not, that someone is right.

37 comments:

  1. that is a great rescue - better than the original

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great save! Love that saying, and this card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab ! Love what you did to "rescue" this card ! ...And thanks for being brave enough to show us your "mistakes"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. Wish some of my attempts at saving worked that well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know so much and share your knowledge so generously - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true which makes OLCs such a challenge! I love your card and well-salvaged indeed.

    cheers,
    Malyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great save, Susan! Love the new card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the final results! A great transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is WONDERFUL. Love the cover up results.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally brilliant save, green, white and black are my latest loves, off to make a card now LOL :0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great result Susan....oh how many times one has to salvage something in the best possible way to save card and be frugal....this is a wonderful card now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect!! Thanks for sharing the way you fix a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fab cover up and you're right, we would never have guessed if you hadn't owned up!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pretty, pretty card! The cover-up is genius, of course, and the resulting fix is probably more attractive than the one you'd originally planned. I can't imagine anything better than this. It's PERFECT! The scallop adds such texture and character! I love those trees, and in that color CS they're lovely. Wonderful day's work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job fixing the boo boo. Love those little trees.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous! What a great save - and I would have probably started over! Another lesson learned today - Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply adorable...and such a clever save!

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are right ... no one would have known but we are all glad you told us so we can use this in our own mistakes! This ended up being a great card!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, great save, beautiful card!! tfs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely card! and thanks for your tip on not closing the decorative scissors. I learned that too, after spoiling a few cuts, but then I wondered if I might be missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I call a "save" that turns out better than the original idea a "Happy Happenstance" - those give me great joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The card turned out brilliant, thanks for sharing.
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic rescue, fantastic card.
    jenjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  24. NICE SAVE! That rule is one of the first things I teach my customers, after "all card stock has two sides" and "I meant to do that". We have had some pretty exciting "saves", too, including a decapitated deer. Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yep, I think you may have ended up with a better card in the end by needing to cover up that "mistake"! However it resulted, it's a lovely spring card.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE everything about this....love your "cover-up" what a pretty, and very wonderful card:)!! Thanks for enlightening and inspiring me!!_

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love a save. Now everyone is going to be casing your "save."

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good for you. That is a brilliant "cover up", and a lovely result.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Bravo Susan. I think it looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!