Wednesday, January 15, 2014

And...She Uses Two Layers

I've been making so many one-layer cards lately that it felt weird to make this two-layer card, as if I were doing something radically counter-cultural, which is weird, don't you think?

Anyway, I have a drawer full of scraps of white card stock that need to be used, and white-on-white cards make me almost as happy as one-layer white cards!



This card uses some of my new Papertrey stamps...Birthday Bash Sentiments and Beautiful Blooms II. I wanted a very minimalist flower (cutting it off like that is pretty minimalist) that was still interesting. The triangle of flower, sentiment, and rhinestones keeps your eye moving and creates a nice balance.

I colored red rhinestones with a dark red Bic marker to get more of a burgundy shade to match the burgundy VersaColor ink of the flower. Love that little trick.

And now I'm going to share a story from my 14-year-old son. As he was getting ready for bed tonight, he said, "Mom, remember how you used to tell me I had Jesus in my heart? Well, I didn't know you were speaking metaphorically, so I thought a little Jesus really was in my heart, pedaling a bike in my internal organs." I'm just pleased as punch the kid now knows how to use "metaphorically" correctly, and ohmygosh, Jesus riding a bike in our hearts!!!! Kids are awesome.

And on that happy note, I'll say goodnight.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Beautiful Blooms II, Birthday Bash Sentiments
ink: Versacolor
paper: Papertrey
accessories: dimensionals, rhinestones, Bic marker

14 comments:

  1. What a sweet and funny story about your son. It made me smile - thanks for sharing. Great visual triangle on your card, and I really like the colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! I like those colors, too, and should use them more often!

      Delete
  2. Your two layer cards are as inspiring as the one layer ones, Susan ... rather like a framed picture! Great story ... what a wonderful idea ... out of the mouths of babes (although you son isn't any more)! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a single folded sheet-style card but I also like one layer on a card base as long as it stays clean - and of course yours is beautifully clean Susan!

    Did you know there's also a couple of guys in overalls in the stomach dealing with food as it comes down the shute?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they the ones causing my heartburn, 'cause I'd like to fire them!

      Delete
  4. Awesome that in his image Jesus was having fun. blessings
    patti moffett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Reminds me of the song lyrics "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart, down in my heart, down in my heart...." I'm going to have that in my head all day long now, but there are worse earworms!

      Delete
  5. Susan, I enjoy your blog so much. Your cards are (deceptively) and beautifully simple, but are design principles personified! So effective! Thank you for sharing the Jesus in my heart story. Your son is smart and funny and oh, yes, he actually talks to you! I know you are proud of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Trish. And yes, Nick does talk to me...sometimes a little more than I would like, especially on the subject of comic books. I very much appreciate Nick's willingness to share, though. His brother doesn't, and it's so hard to know what's going on in his head!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing that with us. Kids are awesome. That brought a beautiful smile to my face this a.m. ....oh yeah the card, as I went off down memory lane there for a few moments, nice, still very CAS even wit two laerw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TWO LAYERS??? What a breakthrough! Love your son's insight, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first time on a plane, once we cleared the clouds, I can remember asking my dad "Where's Jesus?"...after all, wasn't heaven in the clouds??!! Kids are funny, but mostly in delightful/thought provoking ways.
    Your card is CASimply wonderful. Two layers, two dots, and sweet colors. Oh, and tons of lovely white space *sigh*! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somehow I had missed this post of yours. I just love the image of a little Jesus in your son's heart. I believe He is there and I am going to subscribe to the notion that there is a little Jesus in my heart too. (Not so sure about the bicycle, but I DO want the little Jesus.) And great job on metaphorically! WOW You must be proud!
    Oh, and lest I forget, I really like your 2 layer card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!