Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Shimmery Ink Is Cool; Chalk Ink Is Also Cool

Just an FYI...y'all are going to see a LOT of birthday cards in the next few weeks, simply because the OLS challenge to Stock Your Shelves didn't come out of thin air. I need a lot of birthday cards for 2014, and I want to send more birthday cards to Operation Write Home this year. I'm stocking up and hope you don't get bored.

Today's card demonstrates why every single CAS stamper in the whole wide world needs to have a nice selection of shimmery ink. It can carry a card all by its lonesome!


This totally flat card has lots of pop. I love that the photo shows how shimmery the platinum ink is, but the copper ink is also shimmery. Both are from the Brilliance line of inks. I love the dew drop pads...so easy to work with!

Now, a lot of the time, when using shimmery metallics, I think I have to stick with more formal stamps. This was an experiment to see if casual stamps would work...and I think they do!

Also, this layout is one of my favorites for sheer fun and energy. I made another card, with a different stamp set, using chalk ink from VersaMagic.


Note how things get rearranged slightly to accommodate a larger, wider sentiment. Also, I just HAD to put some bling on this card because as much as I like chalk ink for its great coverage and thickness, this card needed just a little something more.

GACK! I just checked the time. I'm running out of time right now--busy evening coming up--so I'll come back tomorrow and edit the post to include stamp set names. Sorry for the delay!

In the meantime, discuss whether you prefer shimmery inks or chalk inks...or do you have to have them both? Nosy Inquiring minds want to know.

16 comments:

  1. I love Brilliance pearlescent inks and the metallics are great too - have you tried rocket red gold? I know you're a clean white card person but Brilliance inks are great on black card too. I had a few chalk inks but they all dried up very quickly and so I have given up on them but I do like the matt effect they give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't have that color. I do have rocket red, though, and it's great!

      Delete
  2. I have some metallic inks (I really like Delicata Gold!!) and some Colorbox chalk cats-eye inks. But I really like Hero Arts mid-one shadow inks which are very good for stamping solid images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that Diana, as I just ordered about 6 or 7 mid-tone shadow inks myself!

      Delete
  3. ^^^ oops ... mid-tone shadow inks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Brilliance inks and chalk inks. I like and use them both, although the Brilliance are fairly new. I like the cards. The images on the one side are nicely balanced by the sentiments. Another lesson learned :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have "several" shimmery inks, and I also have some chalk inks - love them equally, as it really depends on the project. I am very excited to see that there is A Delicata Silver ink coming our soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH I forgot to say how gorgeous your cards are -:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Discovered Brilliance inks just before Christmas, but don't have any chalk inks yet. Looking at your cards, it seems to me I need both! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like them both but it's the shimmery one that really spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a couple of gold inks to try out at Christmas and liked them very well. I love chalk inks for their nearly unsurpassed coverage with solid image stamps but they don't shimmer and I do love shimmer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cards are both beautiful. I have lots of Brilliance inks, and I like them a lot. Especially when I remember to let them dry and don't smudge them. I have given up on using Chalk Inks with my clear stamps, because I cannot stand the staining. I have some stamps that are completely opaque, because I only used chalk inks when I first started stamping. But for rubber stamps, chalk can be quite yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I find the VersaMagic inks don't stain like the ColorBox ones...and I like the colors better, too. There might be a little residual stain, but you're right...the ColorBox Chalk inks stain photopolymer like the dickens!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!