Friday, January 3, 2014

What to Do with Washi, Part 2

Reader Doris D commented that she doesn't like washi tape "just put" on a card. I get that. Unity is so very important in design. When the washi tape looks integral to the design and intentionally placed, rather than slapped on randomly, it can be very effective. I like seeing it used as real tape to hold a note, for instance, on the front of a card. Also, though I imagine Doris didn't like this card, the theme of the tape can create feelings of unity.

Readers Susan and Super Jen also pointed out that you can substitute designer paper for washi tape, which is very helpful for those of you who don't want to invest in washi tape but have a hoard collection of designer paper just waiting to be used.

I, however, want to play with something new and fun, and washi tape is turning out to be that for me.

So here's a second use of washi tape that requires very little modification and is thus an easy application: used straight as a border.



The two strips of washi were added to a scrap of card stock, and then the corners were rounded with a Corner Chomper. The nail heads on the flower centers and beside the sentiment create a visual triangle that helps bring the design together.

Note that the washi tape is straight and not overlapped...very tidy and clean and intentional. Don't you just love the bright, happy colors on all that glorious white!?!?!

*happy sigh*

Next up, we'll get a little looser with the washi, and modify it--easily--to adapt to a specific design.

Supplies
stamps: Clearly Besotted
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: Scotch brand washi tape, dimensionals, Corner Chomper, nail heads

14 comments:

  1. I never would have thought of using Washi tape this way. Normally I don't like cards that use it. This is another example of why I love your cards and your blog. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some, given to me, but didn't know what to do with it...this is fabulous! Love the look, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really pretty, the colours tie each other together (intentionally) and until you mentioned the triangle I didn't even see it! It works though, totally. Love it. Followed Marcelle here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used washi to attach tags to packages over the holidays. Obvious, right? Except that I've had washi in my drawer for years and didn't think of it. The packages looked great and I had to laugh at myself. Who'da thought of using tape as tape?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this one. The colors are so warm and beautiful. Perfect design work, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great card mf....
    Our new blog is doing fantastic...so glad everyone is so hyped for it!
    Feel better...sending prayers and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this is a pretty washi tape card! It is tidy, clean and intentional. Thank you for showing me the other side of washi tape. I just might have to order some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightful card! I love the colors and the way you used washi tape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Washi as a border. I also like using it to ground an image, something I learned from you, Susan. I love the patterns you used here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this use of washi tape. I find it soooo hard to get it one nice and straight though. Apparently my brain sees crooked or something. This is a great use for those matching/color combo tapes you buy together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made me CASE you. :) I have quite the, er, collection of washi tape, and I'm always looking for ways to use it.

    Part 1: http://thecrookedstamper.blogspot.com/2014/01/case-4-more-washi-tape.html

    Part 2: http://thecrookedstamper.blogspot.com/2014/01/case-4-part-second.html

    And THANK you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!