Sunday, January 5, 2014

What to Do with Washi, Part 4

Our fourth washi post (and last for the time being!) covers an adorable use of the sticky stuff. Check it out!


Those little banners are epic bursts of color! The easiest way to get this look is to attach the tape to strips of card stock to give it some body. Washi on its own tends to curl and is very, very thin and flexible; attaching it to card stock makes it easier to manage. Then, use a small square punch turned upside down to punch out the right-angle divot. SO EASY!

Now, there are certainly other things you can do with washi tape, such as using it as the ground for a scene or stamping on it directly (use Palette or StazOn ink for a nice, clean stamped image...water-based inks will bleed or pool, and pigment inks won't ever dry). But I hope that, if you've bought the stuff and were wondering what to do with it, these four posts have helped.

If you don't have washi, don't run out and buy any unless you really want to play. Several of you have noted in comments and emails that you can easily substitute patterned paper for all these techniques. Additionally, you can stamp faux washi in a variety of ways (Hero Arts and other companies have faux washi stamp sets, or you can adapt background stamps to make your own!).

If, however, you want to play around with something new, washi tape can be lots of fun!

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
paper: Papertrey white, SU real red
ink: Memento
accessories: washi tape, square punch

8 comments:

  1. Darling card :) Love the tabs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your lessons, Susan. (I just have to say that using a square punch to cut a banner is not easy for me. I usually have to do it more than once to get it right.) Thanks so much for sharing your vast knowledge of how to make beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a really great card, too. You are teaching me that restraint is GOOOOOD thing, even with Washi tape! I think this card may be my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made a believer out of me. I will follow your instructions when I purchase washi tape. It is worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the inspiration. Now I might use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have really nailed the use of washi in a CAS way. Thanks for these 4 posts they will help me use the rolls of washi/decorative tape I have in a more confident way. I like the tip about using them in matching pairs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!