Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Striking Color Combinations

With clean-and-simple design, striking color combinations are often the key design element that helps distinguish a basic, common design and make it more interesting. Let's face it: there are not a lot of ways to pleasingly organize images on a CAS card. By using exciting or unexpected color combinations, a card maker can keep things simple...yet interesting as well.

Such is the case with today's card, which combines a light pink (lighter than the photo indicates), dark red, and dark gray. It's a fun combination to use on a snowflake card!



Did you know that there is such a thing as pink snow, red snow, or blood snow? The coloring is caused by algae growth. Weird, eh?

I prefer thinking these pink and red flakes are just whimsical!

The snowflakes are arranged in a triangle, which is emphasized by the addition of bling in three sizes. This card was originally a standard 4.25" x 5.5" size, but it looked odd, so I trimmed it down to 4.25" square. The asymmetry of the design looks lovely on a square card.

Every winter, I find myself needing cards that aren't holiday cards, so I decided to make a few using the Hero Arts set Winter Wishes (and an additional small snowflake from Hero Arts CL469). What a nice surprise for someone who's not expecting a card!

Do you make seasonal cards that are unrelated to holidays? Why or why not?

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: Memento Luxe angel pink, rhubarb stalk, London fog
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: rhinestones

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I like to make seasonal cards that aren't holiday specific so I have a longer span of time to send them. Thanks for sharing this gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant color combo, and perfect amount of bling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My rule is never to make Christmas cards (which relieves a LOT of anxiety during that season.) However, I love making cards with all of my snowman/snowflake stamps during January and February. I find they are warmly received during those cold months...and they give me something to look forward to after the holidays are over!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!