Monday, July 14, 2014

Updates and Birthday Cards

1. Several of you have asked for updates on Jonah. He will be having two minor surgeries in the near future, one to remove his port and the other to remove the birthmark over his left eye. His mother Molly posted this on Facebook on Friday:

"Jonah had his monthly follow-up visit today. There are no concerns and everything is on-target for his surgeries next week.

"The oncologist is pleased with Jonah's progress. Jonah has gained a full pound since his last visit a month ago and he is making steady improvement in his walk & balance.

"There was a bit of rough going with the finger-stick to get Jonah's labs. We did some DEEP breathing and got it done. We all agreed that NO ONE likes to be "pinched" in the finger for... labs and that it's okay not to like it...and that it still must be done before we can go home; and that's kind of rotten. When it was all over, the first thing Jonah told the oncologist as he was walking in the room was, 'Well, it was a little rough in here....'

"From here on out, our visits will be every 3 months as a follow-on to Jonah's scans. We'll keep this schedule for the next 3 years. Jonah's first set of scans (Chest X-ray and Ultrasound) is in August.
But...first things first: the surgery to remove his port. Jonah is SO excited! He told the nurse, doctor and tech all about his exciting news: 'Next week, I'm getting my port out and once it's out I'm going to have a party to celebrate! You are all invited....'

"So happy for you, Peanut! So happy."

She also posted this picture of him recently.



Many thanks to all of you who sent cards and packages for Jonah and his family. He really enjoyed all the wonderful cards, and y'all sent so much that he had a pretty steady stream, opening a few a day in keeping with his 4/5-year-old attention span. I have the best readers in the world! On behalf of Molly, Ben, and Jonah, thank you all so much!!!

2. It's so cool that many of you have started following Simplicity on either Bloglovin' or Facebook! If you get a chance, let me know if/when you start receiving your email subscriptions again.

3. I recently placed a rather largish order at Clearly Besotted, a stamp company in the UK that designs stamps just for my style. One set, It's Your Birthday, beckoned, and I HAD to use all the image stamps in it so it could join the other stamps in my collection. I do so hate to leave new stamps languishing in their sad, lonely little basket on my desk.

Here are the first couple of cards I made with it!



I love, love, love that Happy Birthday sentiment. It's such a great font combination, and stamping it in Memento Luxe tuxedo black gives it such a lovely, dense weight on the card that stands up to a bright and colorful image.

Notice that the arrangement is basically the same for each card, but the placement is different. The first card puts the sentiment just below the center of the card, while the second takes advantage of the lower-right "sweet" spot.

I varied the placement to see which looked better. Interestingly, in real life, I couldn't pick a favorite of the two at all, but when I saw them on the computer screen, the first one looked more balanced. The second seems a little squished in the corner. Funny how seeing something in real life and on a computer screen different gives you really different perspectives.

Which do you prefer? Why?

Supplies
stamps: Clearly Besotted It's Your Birthday
ink: Memento Luxe
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: rhinestone
 

9 comments:

  1. they are adorable. I prefer the 2nd one though. It looks more balanced. However, I agree that in person and on the screen are so different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear Jonah is doing so well.
    Love both cards, can see what you mean, I think its only cause the second image is smaller and gives the illusion its just fitted on the end. Would love to receive either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the second one. Not sure why:) It just looks better to me, although the first one is great, too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news on Jonah! Thanks for the update! The second card is my preference out of the two. I like them both, but I like the framing of the cupcake that the third line of sentiment adds. And also, I have a preference for lower right hand corner for sentiments (no idea why, it just pleases me).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stranger - Haven't popped over for a while -- I am partial to the right corner stamping :), but of course both are quite fabulous! LOL I just read the other responses and it looks like we all "just like" corner stamping~

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have so inspired me to simplify. Great blog and always great cards. Slight preference for off-set card, slight. I am an email subscriber and havent missed a post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the update on Jonah. I will keep him in my prayers. I prefer the second card and find it more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your corner stamped card is great! This kind of stamping just makes me want to open the card. Of course, the way you stamp so precisely is what I truly admire, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the Jonah update, Susan. The second is my favorite. Love the cupcake! And the corner stamping is perfection :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!