Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Em-PHA-sis

Today's card is an experiment in em-PHA-sis. My sister and I sometimes deliberately mispronounce the word emphasis, as in, "He put the em-PHA-sis on the wrong syl-LABLE."

Silly, yes, but we're sisters.

Anyway, I wanted to stamp the flower from Flower Power #1 (Uniko) multiple times in pale ink and once in dark ink to reinforce the sentiment "I'm here for you." Here's how the experiment turned out.




I'm on the fence. I don't really like the green I used for the dark stem (too dark and not enough yellow in it to flow with the pear tart of the other stems). On the other hand, I really like the layout and idea of the card.

Although...looking at it now on screen, I think I'll add a couple of small light pink blings to the light flowers. Hmm. That might help the balance and distract from the odd green combo.

I'll let you know if it works.

I've been at home for the past two days with sick children: Bloody noses and pink eye and tummy troubles, oh my! Seriously, Monday, Jack took a shower and I went in to check on him after he had a chance to dry off. His bathroom looked like a set for a horror movie. Nekkid 10-year-old with blood literally pooling in his belly button! It took forever to get his nose to stop and then another forever to clean up all the mess. Daisy helped, though: she licked the blood off the floor. Ewww.

If I come through this without getting sick myself, it'll be a miracle.

May you all stay healthy and may your noses not gush blood.

Amen.

Supplies
stamps: Uniko Flower Power #1
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey
accessories: rhinestone

13 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your children are under the weather. That can be rough. I like the card. I do agree that the one leaf is a bit too green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ewwww is right. hope the kiddos get better soon. i see what you mean about the dark green. i always enjoy your lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday your boys will be grown and you'll wish you could have the little ones back. I too think the green is too dark but love the bing idea and the card layout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eww indeed! I hope you are all as right as rain soon.
    I agree, the layout and design are fab, the green is a little too dark for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Puh-lease tell me Daisy is a pet, and not a daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the card; but agree there is a bit of "discord" between the two greens. The rest of you post elicited a loud "huh" from me causing the DH to ask "what's up"?

    My son ( 11 years old soon to be 12 ) had a nose bleed yesterday as well. Unexpected, without any known cause such as getting hit in the face with a basketball or something, and our downstairs half bath also looked like the set from a horror movie. So much blood!! From just one little nose!!
    Sadly, I had no dog to help with the clean up and had to wipe up the large drops of blood on the floor myself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the design of your card!! I, too, agree that the dark stem doesn't "flow" with the other colors but it doesn't detract from the card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I thought my Mom and I were the only ones who put the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABLE! Glad to know we're not the only weirdos! :)
    I love your card, and don't think the green is too dark. It only adds to the emPHAsis of the single flower.
    Hope you are all feeling better today, and that you stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the green may be a bit too dark and discordant with the lighter greens, but none of us would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out--well, I wouldn't anyway. I'll take the dark green on the flower over sick children and bloody messes any day. See? The green on the stem just isn't important in the larger scheme of things. Stay well. PS: my siblings and I do much the same as you and your sister. We do it so much that some of the stuff we come up with becomes part of the family vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having looked long and hard, I agree too that the dark green is a touch strong in comparison with the delicate pear green ... it does what you wanted though, emphasises the sentiment beautifully ... and I do love the idea of light pink blings. My favorite emPHAsis word is epiTOME ... a wonderful word when said incorrectly! Hope all's well soon chez vous ... Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The comment by richardbreaks is making me giggle. I too hope that you don't catch it. Ewww is right. I think that pink "blings" would definitely help, but totally agree with you about the greens. Too bad we don't live near each other because I have a few you could borrow. *wink* My family also jokes about the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of your card, if not the difficult green stem, and it could be made using that sentiment with so many different stamps. ... I had a brilliant college friend who would go through an entire day putting the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABLE, and on the next day would speak only pig Latin. What a mind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, boy. That em-PHAS-is crack totally reminds me of my mother, a teacher. The card is lovely. I agree that a more yellow green would be the best option, but this looks great as is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!