Saturday, May 25, 2013

Gifts for My Buddies

Before we get to the gift tags I made, I want to thank you all for your input on the book. You're really helping me gel my ideas into something do-able. Thank you so much!

Now, I volunteer most Fridays in my son's special education class. Over the past year, I've gotten to know 14 kids--4th and 5th graders--who spend part of their day in the Resource Room receiving modified curriculum instruction and part of their day in regular classes with aide access. Basically, these kids have learning disabilities, behavior issues, autism spectrum disorders, or cognitive challenges. For some, I honestly have no idea what their problems are. For others (especially the ones with ASD and ADHD), I can make a good guess.

I love walking into that room and having them fight over who gets to work with me first. I spend 5-10 minutes with each of them, usually in groups of two. They tell me things. Lots of things. Some of those things make me laugh with them or try hard not to laugh at them (because OHMYGOSH kids!).

But some of the things they tell me break my heart. Break it right in two.

I wanted to do something fun for the students, their aides, and their amazing teacher for our last week together, and as none has dietary restrictions, I bought some outstanding sugar cookies from a local gourmet store and made gift tags to attach to each bag.


The stamps are from a discontinued Hero Arts clear set, and I colored them with Sharpies and Bics in three color combos to coordinate with the cookies. Then, I used a Sakura Stardust pen on the clouds to add some sparkle. Note that I used Gina K card stock since I was coloring on these one-layer tags with Bics and Sharpies. Gina K's stock doesn't allow bleed-through!

I made extras to give to the aides and teacher, too.






There really aren't enough cookies in the world to show my appreciation for these kids and the grown-ups who work with them. The little notes on the back of these tags don't say all I really want to say to them.

But I think they'll get the point anyway.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (discontinued)
ink: Memento
paper: Gina K white
accessories: Fiskar's corner punch, hole punch, Sakura Stardust Pen, assorted Sharpies and Bics

20 comments:

  1. I'm sure the recipients will love these Susan. It's wonderful that there are still people who care, and give so much to others :) Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A special treat for the special kiddos that are in your heart - you are a good mom and great volunteer. I know that not only the kids but their parents value your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are just beautiful Susan and will be loved by those getting them. Hope you gave yourself a cake because you do a mighty job too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely thought Susan, I'm sure they really appreciated them. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful - I am sure they will love them - knowing kids, the cookies will be polished off, but the cards will be kept by many as a special momento.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How you have time to volunteer is amazing! How lucky each one of those kids are to have one-on-one time with you =) The cookies are such a terrific gift from your heart! Thanks for sending me off to bed with a big smile on my face <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really lovely, Susan! I'm sure they'll be deeply appreciated. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely gesture - I am sure they were all very thrilled! Gorgeous and heart warming project, Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are such special packages. The students and the staff will love them. Your school is very lucky to have you. The value that you add to that class is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, you are such a special person for doing this! Those kiddos will so love them! So will the staff. You are the best of the best! I wish I had someone like you for my ADHD teen son! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm certain those kids's lives are better because you're in them, Susan ... what a wonderful gift for them, their teachers and aides. Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oops, meant kids'!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Children can never have too many caring adults in their lives ... and we adults get back from them so much more than we give. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely, thoughtful gift. Bless you for caring and for sharing with these kids and their teachers. We need more people like you in the world. May God send you rainbows and smiles (upside down rainbows). Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful treat for some very special people, Susan. You're special, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You inspire me in more ways than one.
    As much as I admire your artistic talent (the tags & treats look delightful, I envy your volunteer work that impacts the lives of others even more. And there is no better way to forget our own problems than to meet the needs of someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  17. sorry, I forgot to close my parenthesis

    ReplyDelete
  18. How sweet of you to acknowledge their efforts and friendship. You go girl. Hope you kept a cookie for youself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How nice to have kids fighting over who gets to "play" with you first. You are likely one of the few "treats" they get in their lives. It's clear that you treasure each of them by the simple gesture of giving them a simple, special treat and tag of their own. It doesn't take much, does it, to get a smile or a hug or a big thank you? I know what you mean about some of them sharing things that break your heart. I volunteer in a reading program in one of our grade schools. The kids in this particular school are often foster kids, maybe living with a grandmother or aunt, probably sharing a bed with 2 or more people, most often lagging behind established standards, having few books in the home and probably no one reading to them. They will glom on to a willing, sympathetic ear faster than a cop glomming on to a donut (I can say that; I was in law enforcement). They are so precious and such special gifts, and all of us need to make sure kids know that. Thanks for making these kids feel so special.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love those tags and the cookie packages! A little gift like that goes such a long way!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!