Friday, June 18, 2010

Another Card with Striped Background

(Something goofy happened with Blogger Scheduling. This was Friday's post, and the Final Card post was supposed to be Saturday. Sigh. I tried.)
Here's my second card with the no-longer-neglected striped background from Hero Arts. As you can see, I just used a small part of the whole. This is in many ways my favorite way to use background stamps, which sometimes get a bit too busy for my clean-and-simple style.


The flower is from a Hero Arts clear set, and the sentiment is also by Hero but is from a wood-mounted set. Inks are Memento, and paper is SU's pretty in pink and chocolate chip, and PTI's white. Of course.

When I cut the stamped panel, I used my craft knife to cut a curve following the flower stem so it bulges a bit from the rectangle. That helps bring some attention to the flower even though it's stamped in pale colors.

Simplicity Tip: When using stripes, pay attention to what is on the edges of your piece. Having one end cut on a white stripe and the other on a green would look a bit off. Cut so the end stripes are even in width, or at least the same color, so the eye isn't distracted by unbalance.

19 comments:

  1. Pretty!! I love how you trimmed around the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute. I love the colors! Cute little flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty card! I love how you used
    only part of the background stamp.
    Which set does the flower come from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my fav way to use stripes. If I looked at my collection of cards I bet I'd find a dozen or so cards with this same strip use. Your card is spectacular. I love everything about it ~ the stripes (of course), the flower with a small bit of it hanging off the edge, and the colors (I'm not a pink fan but there is something about pink and green together!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always loved this color combination--usually the green or black is dominant with the pink as accent. This is a nice change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, darn!! Wouldn't you know I don't have any strip stamps!!! Guess there's a shopping trip in my future. I need that stamp!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely what I needed today...been running with an idea in my head all day..with no clue as how to place it. Saw the stripes and bingo..I have to CASE this card now!
    thanks for this wonderful inspiration today!

    Tejal

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant! :)
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A brilliant CAS card. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As most others have said, the word that sums up this card is... pretty. In the nicest way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy,

    The flower is from the month set for May, I think.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, I am so excited that I found your blog. You have such beautiful cards. Are they harder to come up with than cards with so many layers and embellishments on them? I am sure I will be using some of your ideas in the future. I always give credit when I copy a design. My followers will be checking out your blog if they haven't already found you. You really do terrific work. I am so very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many thanks for the Simplicity Tip. The few times I have used DP, it has almost always been stripes, and I never thought to cut so the ends are even in width.

    I think you did a cut following the curve, outside the rectangle, on a card using the Turning a New Leaf set. I LOVED that card and the WOW factor that unexpected cut gives. But getting a curve with a straight-edge crafting knife has always been beyond me. I bought a swivel-tip Exacto knife, but that was no help. In fact, the Creative Memories Cutting system now has blades that swivel, but cutting a perfect oval still defies me. Maybe I just love rectangles and squares! :-)

    About when your last post happens, your e-mail notifying me that you have posted always gets to my computer around 1:30 a.m.(Pacific Time) the day AFTER we have all seen and commented on the post the e-mail mentions. Not that it matters to me at all, since this is my first stop every day anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pink card with the green stripes is my favorite CAS ever! I love the striped stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another beautiful card and awesome tip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty card! In fact, I've loved all your stripey creations, I CASEd all three cards this afternoon. Many thanks for the inspiration and the simplicity tips, so interesting & helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this pink & green. It's so cool & soothing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!