Friday, June 18, 2010

Final Card in the Striped Background Trio

(This was scheduled to be posted on Saturday, not Friday. Sorry for the mix-up. There will be another post on Sunday.)

Today's card, like yesterday's, only uses part of the background as a border, but the effect is completely different. It's amazing what a crisp look you get using only black, a touch of green, and lots and lots of white. This card is not the standard A2 size; it's 6.25" x 4.5" and fits a larger standard envelope.


The adorable tiny rick-rack was sent to me by Patti M., along with some other goodies. Thank you, Patti! I like how the zig-zag of the rick-rack contrasts with the straight lines of the stripes. For the same reason, I chose the sentiment (from Hero) because of the flourished Joy.

Three little green rhinestones (colored to match with Bic Mark-It marker) lead the recipient into the inside of the card, which says, "and I find joy with you." Made this one for George, of course, but it would work equally well for my imaginary Latin lover Juan.

George knows all about Juan, by the way. In fact, he's the one who invented Juan in the first place to explain why I was on Ramada Inn's preferred customer list. Really, it was because I worked in corporate at the time and got on every mailing list known to corporate-kind.

But I digress.

Simplicity Tip: Curves loves angles, and angles love curves. This is just a specific example of the idea that contrast makes things more visually interesting. If you're ever working on a card and feel it's blah, you can use this essential truth of design to kick up the interest on your card. If everything is all straight and right angled, try a swirly sentiment. If everything is organic and curved, try something right-angled and straight for contrast. This doesn't always work, but often it's the best design choice you can make.

19 comments:

  1. Too beautiful Susan. The green and black look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to Juan! Both cards today are beautiful, and so different from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for showing the 3 different cards all using the same b/g stamp. You often talk about card sizes (not standard A-2, etc) Is there a chart or something that talks about card sizes? I've also seen others refer to different A-sizes. Thank You
    P.S. I've got A-2 figured out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up! Thanks for making me laugh

    ReplyDelete
  5. one of my fav color combos but I don't ususally use as much white, I like, I like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a stunner--the contrasts of color, shape, detail. Wow! Also, keep the tips coming-today's was a new one for me and it makes complete sense now that you've said it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow the rick rack was made for this stamp...matches perfectly...thanks for reminding me of the impact black can make
    blessings
    patti moffett
    verification word for today
    uncres

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these! I can never quite get down to one layer (although they're beautiful!), but I love your minimal-layer CAS cards - exactly my style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving your striped cards. They are all beautiful! tfs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the card with the rick-rack. the look is tremendous. thanks for the tip also. p.s. I love your humour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. simply stunning!!
    I need to get me some rickrack!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have an imaginary Swedish lover named Sven. I forgot all about him until my husband brought him up recently.

    I love your blogs. Especially when I learn new words (like "histrionics"), solid design tips, and new ways of looking at pears.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all the striped bg cards, but this is my favorite. Don't know how it looks IRL, but on my computer, the black rick rack makes the green and white stripes appear accordian folded.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great combination this is -- mostly b&w with those touches of green.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm, I'll have to try this with pink rick-rack that always shouts "tacky-homemade" when I try to use it on a card.Maybe I was just using the wrong sketch, because i love your card.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is pretty! I love to read your tips, they are so helpful. I usually just fly by the seat of my pants and hope I come by "it" naturally. [[My mom was a knitwear designer and fiber artist]]

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely card - and thanks so much for the fab Simplicity tips! I've just borrowed my friend's SU! Solid Stripes stamp and now I have some great inspiration for it so thanks for that also!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!