Monday, November 19, 2012

Angel Paper

One key to successful clean-and-simple design is to do something unexpected. Of course, whatever you do that's unexpected also needs to belong to the design...in other words, it has to make sense.

For example, you wouldn't use the font comic sans on a sympathy card. Yes, it would be unexpected, but no, it wouldn't belong. Not one tiny bit.

When I found a scrap of white mulberry paper with gold metallic fibers in it, I knew it needed to be on an elegant card with gold embossing. This pretty, flowing angel stamp from PSX seemed a perfect match.



And it was. Notice the crisp lines of the oval are softened by the fringe of random mulberry fibers, and since straight lines love curves, the gold fibers belong as well...as a contrast for the curvy angel and her oval frame.

That paper is unexpected, unusual, highly textured on flat, matte card stock. But by using only a fringe of of mulberry, it doesn't overwhelm the design either. It complements it.

Go, me!

Also note that I need new embossing powder. This was the best angel I got out of about five attempts. Methinks the shelf life of embossing powder is shorter than anticipated by me.

Technique Tip: To tear mulberry paper like this, place the paper flat on a waterproof surface (I used a cutting mat). Use clean water on a clean paintbrush to "draw" where you want to tear. Saturate the paper along the lines you want to tear. Wait a minute for the fibers to loosen, then tear. You can easily pick the edges out when they are wet. Set aside to dry completely before adhering to your card with a glue stick.

And I mean it about the clean paintbrush. Mine still had some bright-red Twinkling H20 in it. What a bloody-looking mess.


Supplies
stamps: PSX
ink: gold pigment ink
paper: PTI white, white mulberry paper with gold fibers
accessories: glue stick, dimensionals, outdated gold embossing powder, heat gun, Embossing Buddy (a bag of powdered chalk that keeps embossing powder from sticking where you don't want it to stick), Creative Memories oval cutting system, wow that is a lot of stuff for one card by me, don't you think?

10 comments:

  1. Your card is spectacular! The embossing is perfect with the mulberry paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done! Thank you for reminding me about mulberry paper. I wonder where mine is hiding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thought on your embossed angel is your that your ink pad may need reinking. I don't believe embossing powder has a shelf life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some mulberry paper in a drawer somewhere - after seeing your gorgeous card, I need to look for it. What a lovely effect you created with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful Susan! I love the fluffy effect. Thanks for the tip~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan
    What a fabulous card!!
    Oh so elegant.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard that embossing powder goes bad with time. Could it have been your ink or did you try heating from underneath? I always have trouble embossing if my ink is not "gooey" enough. And I've found that heating from underneath keeps the powder from blowing away when I'm using certain inks or powders. I was really having a problem with one of the newer Ranger tinsel powders, but heating from underneath made all the difference. I always feel like I don't want to be that patient and would rather direct that heat gun on the powder and get it done, but I guess slower hearing on the first try is better use of my time than doing it over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a fluffy vision of angelic beauty, Susan! I have some mulberry paper like that in my stash, but not that perfect angel. I'm thinking I might CASE it using a dove ...

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!