Friday, September 13, 2013

Something Shiny and a Little Advice

Metallic pens.

You need them.

I need them.

They are good and wonderful and make shiny lines.

And if you have them in several widths, you can make shiny lines in several widths.





Be still, my heart. You can even accent the image with the metallic pen, thus increasing the unity of the design.

If you've never drawn lines like this and really really want to do it because it's way too cool, you need to know a few things.

First, DON'T PANIC. And always take your towel.

Second, it's helpful to shake your pen vigorously so the little ball in it rattles a lot, and then test the pen on a scrap of paper before using it on your project. You might need to depress the tip of the pen a few times to get the ink flowing smoothly. DO NOT do this on a scrap of card stock and then flip that scrap of card stock with its pool of ink upside down on your desk. That metallic ink is pretty permanent.

Just sayin'.

Third, use a ruler with a felt pad on the bottom to get good, clean lines. My metal ruler works great. The felt lifts it slightly above the paper so you don't get unsightly bleeding under the ruler. Unsightly bleeding is bad and might result in bad words slipping right out of your mouth and into the air where people can hear them and judge you. I won't judge you, though. Let the crafter who has not cussed throw the first stone.

Fourth, let the line dry completely (doesn't take long) before moving the ruler. It's safer that way.

Fifth, if you have crooked eyes and can't eyeball level lines, use a quilting ruler--they're see-through and have handy grids to make getting level lines a snap--to position your metal ruler. Get the quilting ruler lined up nicely, butt that metal ruler right up against the quilting ruler, then move the quilting ruler and draw your lines.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Please don't shoot me for typing that. Just extend mercy and grace, please. I couldn't help myself.

Oh, look! Another shiny line! It's bronze!



I only have one bronze pen that's sort of thin. You can bet your sweet patootie I'll be getting a thicker one soon because as cool as a single line is (and it's pretty cool), the double lines of varying width are even cooler. And the brown rhinestones blend perfectly with the bronze ink.

If you don't have metallic pens, run right out and buy yourself some. In multiple widths and colors. And pick up a metal ruler with a felt pad and a 6"-square quilting ruler while you're at it.

You need them.

Trust me.


Supplies
stamps: SU Pocket Silhouettes, Clean and Simple Stamps Thank You limited edition set
ink: no idea. can't remember.
paper: Papertrey Ink white
accessories: rhinestones, silver and bronze metallic pens

28 comments:

  1. OOOOOOooo they're lovely - gotta get me some of this action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on my way to M's, J's and HL to buy out their stash of metallic pens. These are so beautiful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you trying to convince me to get some of these pens? It is working. I want them now. And I already have the quilting ruler and metal cork backed ruler. How can I not want to do this today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. was going to say something nice about your cards but cannot because of the easy squeezy thing. I cannot do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong with metallic pens - I forgot to take my towel. I should have known better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a funny lady! And what brand of metallic pens do I need to get? 😉

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Let the crafter who has not cussed throw the first stone."............needs to go in the Bloggers Bible....Hahaha
    love your posts !!
    www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in


    ReplyDelete
  8. This blogpost made me laugh! The comments also, haha. The metallic lines are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cards are so beautiful! I was put off my gold and silver leafing pens because they were temperamental and the ink, even when dry, never stayed put. A Christmas card I sent to my friend ended up smeared and ruined through the postal system. So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can you tell us what brand of pens you use? Thank you!I always used my beveled ruler upside down to create that gap and prevent bleeding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous cards Susan. TFS these words of wisdom :) Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I need to come here for such sage advice and to see your flawless cards ... I also know I'll need to lie down in a calm and restful place afterwards having climbed to the peak of my wish mountain to add more 'essentials' to the top. Thank you ... off to find the crampons. Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I can say is: WOW! (Gorgeous, fabulous, and exquisite also come to mind)

    Metallic pen store...here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have them! And today I will be using them because of you! AWESOME idea, I love how well you integrate components... TFS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! So beautiful and don't think I haven't noticed all those comments on other people's blogs about meattalic leafing pens. And I am...What??? I have several of those left over from scrapbooking days and I wonder if I should just toss them? Some of them aren't even opened. Thank YOU for opening a whole new dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well isn't this the coolest?
    I want to go play but I can't I need to do laundry and get ready for company. But thanks for the instructions and maybe I can be creative on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are too funny! You just make my day! Love these cards. Will most definitely have to try this out-because I think I might have a couple of those pens floating around in my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have just made me glad that I didn't throw my metallic pens away!! Last fall when making Chrismas cards that would have looked lovely with a metallic line, I uttered many nasty words when the ink bled under the ruler and smeared when I lifted the ruler up immediately. I decided metallic lines were not going to be part of my card making. But you've just given me the advice I need to try again (after I go out and buy the right kind of ruler).

    Both your cards are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. *laughing my head off* - Wonderful cards, and very sage advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love your style. It's always a joy to read your blog...informative and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I need to pull these pens out again. I love instructions that are given in a humourous tone. Thank you. A chuckle helps the process.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ditto to all the comments above -- Resistance is, indeed, futile!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I so enjoyed reading that post!! And I love these cards - simply perfect! Must have a play with this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these cards! Just lovely. I'm off to buy some pens....thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your cards are wonderful. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I spotted your card on Pinterest and had to come visit your blog. Very pretty cards! I have 2 metallic pens but didn't know they come in various widths. Your explanation absolutely made me laugh a little. I'll be back........ :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. So I came across this card on pinterest.. and loved the clean simple lines.. it peaked my interest.. I checked out your lovely blog.. and just knew I wanted to join the group.. You have such a lovely technique with your simple cards.. I'm still learning the process "less is more" in my stamping.. hope you can check out my blog as well at: victoryfirst.blogspot.com ~☺

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!