Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Two Treatments for Outline Stamps

Today's duo of cards shows two different ways of treating the exact same outline stamps...in this case from Dare 2B Artzy's Home Sweet Home set.

First up, stamp the outline stamps in colors. This is the simplest, easiest (and therefore my favorite!) treatment for outline stamps. Don't ever be afraid to try this because the results, as below, can be extremely satisfying. In this case, I chose colors that were rich and fairly dark so they would pop off the white card stock and show off the lovely swirly detail of the stamps.



Next, stamp the outline stamps in black and color them with Copics/Bics/Sharpies. I didn't do any fancy shading here, although stampers who enjoy coloring would find this easy. For coloring, I picked lighter shades that would highlight the swirls rather than over-power them. You still get great detail from the stamps that way. Keep in mind using colored pencils might dull the black details since there's no way not to color over those fine lines (at least I always found that to be the case).


Do you prefer to stamp in colored ink or color outline images?

Supplies
stamps: Dare2BArtzy Home Sweet Home
ink: VersaMagic (first card); Memento (second card)
paper: Papertrey white (first card); Gina K (second card)
accessories: Copic markers


8 comments:

  1. I like them stamped in colours the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the first card also. The second technique would be great for a more whimsy look but with your layout the clean simple technique makes this card more classy and eloquent. Great to see them side by side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first card best. It just looks cleaner to me. More white space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both cards are wonderful! :) I do like the first card, just because it's very clean to me. However, the second card adds a nice little punch. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it depends on the stamp. These look really nice stamped in colors because of the swirl detail. I think a more plain outline often benefits from coloring. I don't have many outline stamps because I find the coloring too time consuming, but when I do feel like coloring, I stamp and image multiple times then sit in front of the tv to do all of my coloring at once. Then I have the building blocks to make a bunch of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them both, but I prefer the colored outline! I love all your designs - thanks for sharing your talent and design tips!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!